Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

my dogs stomach is making a lot of noise, i dont

Customer Question

my dog's stomach is making a lot of noise, i dont know what is wrong w/ him. He will not eat or drink. Early I did notice excess saliva and washed his mouth out and made him drink a little milk b/c i thought maybe he could have bit a poisionous frog. He wasn't have any more symptoms of that since but now his stomach is growling terrible. He is only about 16lbs and I can hear it from across the couch. Please help him, he seems like he's so uncomfortable.

Optional Information:
Age: 2; Male; Breed: jack russel

Already Tried:
nothing

Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

There are a couple things that come to mind, one being IBS(irritable bowel syndrome) and the other would be a pancreatic deficancy.

Their tummy will also growl if they have an intestinal parasite problem that has not been diagnosed.

If this continues, you should see the vet for a fecal exam and a general look-see to see what's going on.

Many people complain about this after their dogs have eaten grass. And you will often see this noise if a dog has consumed garbage or eaten something that has not agreed with them. If you suspect this, you can try to ease some of the gas pain and stomach upset by offering her only a bland diet of only boiled chicken and white rice until she is past this spell. This is often soothing to the stomach.

Some dogs can get some relief with some Zantac as well.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
this just began today after he was salivating from the mouth. He will not eat anything so I can not give him the chicken and rice. The noise is a swishing type noise. He seems to just want to sleep now. Is this cause for concern? Do you think the Zantac will give him relief? If not could you recommend anything else that we could give him. Thank you very much for your great advise.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If this is simple constipation, you can give him 1 tsp of canned pumpkin and this will help him move his bowels. It's really hard to treat it at home, especially if you don't know the cause.

If he is not moving his bowels, you might fear an obstruction. If this is the case (or if he has liquid diarrhea), you will want to see your vet right away.