NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My dogs eyes started shifting back and forth, left to ...

Customer Question

My dogs eyes started shifting back and forth, left to right, back and forth and shaking, it passed within 20 minutes. Happened 1st time last week, took to vet and his signs were fine. Almost a week later it happened again. What could this be? vet said it was dizziness, he is a 9 yr old pomeranian, any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
This sounds like something called vestibular disease. Looks very scary when you first see it but it may simply be an inner ear problem though it can have a neurological basis. Its worth having the ears checked for deep inner ear infection to see if that solves the problem.
You can read about vestibular disease here
This usually self resolves though dogs will be dizzy and perhaps uncoordinated and even be nauseas from the 'motion' sickness of this problem.
Hope this helps you!