Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

my dog has blood in stool

Customer Question

my dog has blood in stool
Category: Dog
Expert:  tonmill replied 10 years ago.
This may not be as serious as you think. Blood in dogs stool is generally not as serious as it is in humans. Something is wrong though. If blood is bright red and on the surface of poop, it is probably a scrape onthe lining of the intestine caused by a bone piece or something sharp. If it is it will probably only bleed for 1 to 2 days. It could be parasites if it has lasted for a while. They are biting and irritating the lining on intestines. (see a vet for this one). If it is dark and dry it is most likely a viral infection. See a vet for this one too. It could also be an irritated anal sac towards the tip of the anus. If it lasts for any length of time Get to the vet.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Blood in the fecal matter is not always a cause for alarm. It could indicate irritation to the GI tract. This can be from a viral illness, something that the dog ate, or even a change in treats or food. I would go ahead and collect a stool sample (the bloody one) and see the vet with it (most will do this without an appointment) to rule out parasites as the cause. This is the number one cause. Then I would go from there.

This does not mean that there is a bone that has abraded the intestinal tract or anything of the sort.

Let me know if you still have questions.