Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

how do I tell if my dog has floaters

My dog looks up, not to the sides, but always up to the ceiling like she sees something, usually when she wakes up in the morning. She also uses her paws like she trying to wipe away something from her eyes altho she doesn't actually touch her face. I've ruled out fly biting (I have a 9 year old that was diagonised with fly biting and is on phenobarbital) so I am familiar with that. She also has goop in her eyes when she wakes up.

She's 11 months old and this just started to happen about 2 months ago out of the clear blue sky.

Took her to the Vet and he noticed that her ears were quite impacted with wax, so we have been using a wash every a.m. Since doing this she doesn't seem to have as many episodes as before, but still does it when she wakes up.

I filmed her and my Vet called a neurologist and described the film. He said it could be Focal Seizures and to start her on phenobabr. I don't want to do this at such a young age.

Please give me a 2nd opinion, or I should say 3rd.!

Optional Information: Age: <1; Female; Breed: beagle/hound mix
Already Tried:
Ear wash and she's on Chlorpheniramine 4mg right now.
I would have her see a veterinary opthamologist before making any medical decisions. She might have a problem with her retinas and that can make 'spots' in her vision she sees as something in her eye to be wiped away.
It could be focal seizures but its so consistent I'm not sure that is really it.
You can read here about all kinds of seizures and their causes
www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com
I'd also consider if her ears keep being dirty that this could be partly a food allergy as that can lead to continuing ear infections. Nutritional problems can do funny things to dog's systems.
You can read about food allergies here
www.marvistavet.com/html/food_allergies.html
Hope this helps you!
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thanks for answering so quickly. She has had no change in diet and she didn't have an ear "infection" just alot of wax impacted. I will visit those sites.

Susan
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Relist: I want a different opinion.
Looking for other opinions.

I agree with your vet that this could be a symptoms of focal seizures. And even though she's not striking at flies, she could be having the same symptoms and need the same treatment.

Phenobarb is not necessarily a bad thing, even in young dogs. Once the meds level off, most dogs have no problem with it being depressive or changing their energy level.

I would see the opthamologist for a good ocular exam to rule out detatched/detatching retinas and then go from there with the meds.

Let me know if you still have questions or concerns that I can address.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert