NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

my dogs tooth is hanging by the gum

Customer Question

My dogs tooth is pulled out we dont know what happend but no roots are connected it is hanging by the long space of gum tisue between the 2 teeth, it is the bottom canine tooth.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Well if this is a pup between 4-6 months it may be normal teething.
If this dog is an adult dog then this could be a tooth that was injured just now or is a dead tooth. If its bleeding or bothering the dog with pain you may want to have an emergency vet take care of this.
If the dog is just a puppy teething then you may want to give it a hard chew toy and see if that takes care of the problem.
If the dog seems not to be in pain then you may be able to wait for morning to have your own vet take care of it.
You need to evaluate if the dog is in pain or bleeding badly and needs immediate care or if this is something that can wait. It will need to be taken care of for sure if this is an adult dog otherwise decay and abcess may set in.
If roots were showing then I'd hold out for immediate vet care helping an adult dog maybe retain the tooth but as you say they aren't there then that probably cannot happen.
This site has a ton of canine dental info including info links on broken teeth
Hope this helps you!