Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care

Can you put Genteal eye drops for humans in dogs eyes

My dog has addisons disease and is having a reaction (I think) to his meds and his eyes keep running and when the light hits his eyes he squints like it hurts him. So I thought that maybe it was causing dry eye.

Human medication should not be administered without the permission or advice from your veterinarian who knows your dog's full health history, but my veterinarian recommends the use of eye drops for dry eyes every 1-4 hours as needed until an examination can be performed. The contact relief with these are very short thus the timing of every 1-4 hours depending on the severity. I have included some information below about eye drops in dogs that I feel will be of help to you. I do advise a simple call to your veterinarian as to their preference on this practice.

Most artificial tear solutions contain preservatives but some are preservative-free. It is believed that preservative-free solutions may be milder and cause less irritation of the cornea, particularly with long-term administration.

Artificial tear solutions are not approved for use in animals, but they can be used in an extra-label manner.

Brand Names and Other Names

• Artificial tear solutions are registered for use in humans only.

• Human formulations: Murocel® (Bausch & Lomb); Refresh® Tears and Refresh® Plus (Allergan); Celluvisc® (Allergan); GenTeal® Lubricant Eye Gel (CIBA Vision); and many others. Various generic formulations are also available.

• Veterinary formulations: none

Uses of Artificial Tear Solutions

• Artificial tear solutions are used to sooth irritated and inflamed eyes, to protect exposed eyes, and to supplement aqueous tear production in the treatment of keratoconjunctivitis sicca.

Precautions and Side Effects

• While generally safe and effective when used under the supervision of a veterinarian, artificial tear solutions can potentially cause side effects in some animals.

• Artificial tear solutions should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.

• If the solution produces eye irritation and redness, eye pain or a worsening in the amount of eye discharge present, it should be discontinued, and you should contact your veterinarian.

• Care should be taken to avoid touching the dropper tip to the surface of the eyelids or eye in order to prevent contamination of the container.

• Most artificial tear solutions are compatible with other water-soluble eye medications. There are no documented drug interactions among these and other products.

How Artificial Tear Solutions Are Supplied

• Artificial tear solutions containing preservatives are available in 15 ml, 25 ml, 30 ml, and 0.5 and 1.0 ounce bottles.

• Preservative-free solutions are available in disposable single-use 0.1 to 0.2 ounce containers.

Dosing Information

• Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.

• In general, the contact time of these solutions with the surface of the eye is extremely short (just a few minutes), so severe dry eye may require applications as frequently as every 1 to 4 hours.

• Traditionally, the medication is used as needed to diminish mucous production and keep the animal comfortable.

• The duration and frequency of application depends on the severity of the condition, the desired degree of lubrication and the development of any adverse effects.