Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

do any vet schools offer clinics at low cost for dogs

Customer Question

I have a lab/pitbull and he has been complainting about his ear, everytime he scratches he cries so I started putting some Zymox drops in his ears but I looked at it today and there was blood in his ear. I do not have the money to take him to the vet but will do anything I have to to get him taken care of. But I was wondering if there are any vet schools that give low cost clinics here in Central Florida.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am not aware of any low cost clinics but you can certainly call your local animal control or humane society and ask for a referral to one.

You DO need to get treatment for him as soon as you can.

Some vets recommend that you give him an aspirin to control pain. You can get the dosage information here:

Aspirin Info

Tomorrow, you will need to see the vet. It sounds like he has a severe ear infection and might even have a hematoma if the ear flap is sticking out like a pillow. If he doesn't have a hematoma yet, he might soon get one because the head shaking will commonly cause a blood vessel to burst in the ear. This requires surgery to fix so you will want to take care of this as soon as you can.

Be sure you don't put anything in the ear through the night. Hot compresses are fine to ease the muscles around the ear but don't put anything in the ear canal until you find out what you are dealing with.

The problem with ear infections is that they can be bacterial or fungal in nature. If you put the wrong medication in the ear, you can actually do more harm than good so you want to be sure of what you are dealing with before you put anything in the ear.

If you cannot afford vet care, you might want to consider a funding source called Care Credit. They offer financing for large and small vet visits.

Let me know if you still have questions.