NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

cani crop my dogs ears at 1 year old ...

Customer Question

cani crop my dog's ear's at 1 year old
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If your dog has proper ear leather and good ear carriage you can have a vet crop the ears at a year of age and have a chance of them standing properly if the vet is skilled. The crop may have to be a shorter one than might have been used if the dog was done at a younger age.
You will have to do serious aftercare of the cropped ear and taping etc to make the ears stand.
If you know a vet who does this procedure you should have your dog in to be evaluated by the vet for the likelihood of the ears standing properly when the surgery is completed. Better to have natural ears than to have floppy cropped ears that won't stand.
You should not have anyone other than a person highly experienced in the surgery do this with your dog.
The adult dog is far more apt to react to and remember the pain of cropped ears being handled. That is another thing to consider when thinking about this.
Hope this helps you!