NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Any remedies for anal gland problems My bulldog has ...

Customer Question

Any remedies for anal gland problems? My bulldog has diarreah with a little blood.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Anal glands are really easy to empty though its a messy smelly job. You can read about how to do it here and there is an animation too
www.marvistavet.com/html/anal_sacs.html
To help in the future with the glands you may find adding some fiber to the dog's diet will work. Plain canned pumpkin added to his meals may help. Just a couple of spoonfuls per meal.
However its more likely to be a problem with an intestinal parasite if you are seeing blood in the stool. Bring a fresh fecal sample to your vet to be checked for parasites including worms and coccidia or giardia.
Hope this helps you!