NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Dog sprained ankle

My dog appears to have sprained her ankle running in the yard, what is the best thing to do, she has been limping for 3 days, when I rub her ankle she goes not yelp or appear to be in pain, any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If this is her rear leg she may have injured her knee area making her limp. A cruciate ligament tear will do this as will a partial tear. You can read about this problem here
If it is a ligament issue often surgery is the only fix.
If its a front leg or not a knee issue then it could be the dog has broken or cracked a toenail which is really painful. You can see if the dog reacts to you wiggling each nail - if one is sore you won't be able to miss that it hurts. You or the vet or a groomer can cut the nail off and stop the bleeding with styptic. This hurts the dog when you cut it but feels lots better once its all over with.
If you can't determine the problem as its been going on so long you may want to see your vet as it could be a broken toe or other injury that would require splinting is what is wrong.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi Nancy,

This is her lower front right foot.

I already wiggled all her toe nails and felt around her paw thinking she had a thorn or glass in her foot.

This has happened several times over the year when she is out running around with a neighborhood dog friend and then in a day or two she better.

Any other thoughts and thanks!

Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Have you checked her elbow? dogs can have hereditary weakness in the elbow area that will cause limping and in the shoulder joint area too.
You can read about elbow dysplasia here
and about osteochondritis in the shoulder area here
She could be straining a ligament in her leg or even have a neck issue that is causing pain from a nerve that travels down into the foot area.
The fact its the same side all the time makes me suspect its a joint issue.
You might find using glucosamine chondroitin such as Cosequin or Glycoflex will help over time. Might be worth having the vet check too.
I know the dog I had with the shoulder issue they put a cortisone shot in one shoulder joint that solved the problem for her.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi Nancy,

I just wiggled the fright ront toe nails again and no pain, I then squezzed the toes one at a time and one seems sore to her.

If it's a broken toe can you do anything for it. Supposably for humans you just let it heal.

I think it's definetly in the foot area, either the ankle or a toe type issue.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the info.

Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Actually for my dog with a broken toe we splinted it and the dog got around great though we did have to make a boot for the splint so he didn't get it wet.