NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Can Dogs take tetracycline for an infection

Customer Question

Dog has infection in paw he has received cylamine(sp) in the past, but I was wondering if tetracycline is as effective as the other or will the tetra harm him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
It may not be as effective on the type of infection you are dealing with. If this is a puppy be warned that tetracycline can effect tooth enamel in growing pups too.
For home care until you can see a vet I'd try soaking the foot in warm/hot epsom salts solution twice a day. Cleaning any open wound with betadine or 3% peroxied and using topical neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on the area.
I'd go with a new scrip from a vet for antibiotics instead of using tetracycline.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: This is a 9year old Wolf Hybrid, very stubborn, cannot put anything on his paw, just thought I could use tetra. until the vet comes back from vacation next week. As long as it doesn't harm him will it help at all?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I am confused do I have to pay $5.00 more for my reply question?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
As long as you have the right dose for him and its not too old and expired you can try it.
You can try soaking the foot if he lets you handle him that much. Sneaky foot soaking trick is put sore foot in bucket. Hold collar and pick up foot on opposite 'corner' of the dog so if you are soaking right front paw then you life left rear leg off the ground. Keeps them from being able to step out of the bucket while you soak the foot. Then swish through or splash on betadine or peroxide when the soak is done.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Nope not if you don't want to - you could also wait to accept until the conversation is complete to your satisfaction!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Will tetra help him at all until the vet returns from vacation. At 145 ponds I cannot handle him to do the soaking thing at all.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes it might so you can try it as you have no other choices between now and the vet's return.
If another vet is covering for your vet though they may be willing to refill a prescription for the med that worked last time.
Its a shame he isn't easier to handle but that is the issue with hybrids. I can soak 185 pound dane's foot by myself using the above trick though and in your case tying the dog to the fence might make it possible to manage.