Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

How do I avoid my dogs anal glands filling up with fluid

Recently my dog started biting his rectum and caused a wound under his tail. I brought him to the vet who treated it and said his anal glands were also filled with fluid and cleaned his anal
glands out cleansed the wound and gave us a flush antihistamines and salve to put on the wound until it was healed. We were also given a buster collar but altho it was extremely hard to keep it on he wassedated most of the time with the antihistamines and the healing went well. The wound healed and the scab came off and it looks fine but all of a sudden he has started scooting on the floor and is trying to bite his rectum again. I called and they said that the anal glands had probably filled up again. What can I do to prevent this from happening he is 6 and this is the first time any such thing has happened.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If this is a constand problem for your pet, your vet can teach you to express the glands yourself. If your pet is getting frequent infection (different from being overly full) then your vet can remove the glands completely.

You can somewhat help this problem by feeding your dog a fiber filled diet. This will help to express the glands in a natural way.

You can also help control this by keeping your dog at a healthy weight.

Let me know if you still have questions.