NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Why does my dog cry when trying to poop

The dog cries when pooping and won't raise her tail. It has been going on for 2 days and I have tried using hemorrhoid cream on her but she cries. What could the problembe?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 9 years ago.
There could be some kind infection but since it seems your dog cries when trying to have a bowel movement i would make an appointment to have her seen by your vet.
If she is crying out she is in obvious pain and i would not let this persist.
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
It sounds like she may have a foreign object passing through her system that is not working through properly (toys, socks, sticks, balls etc all can get swallowed and stuck). With one of my pups it was a little bit of wire that passed all the way through and got stuck in the last little bit of colon.

It could also be a problem with her anal glands.
You can read about this problem here

www.marvistavet.com/html/anal_sacs.html

I suggest stopping using the hemorrhoid cream on her as it won't help either problem.
If she is not passing stool at all I'd get her to a vet for some help as soon as possible.
You can try using a small amount of mineral oil as an enema (not much just a little) if you think something is stuck right near the anal opening this may help.

If she is passing stool but may have impacted anal glands she may also need vet help but you may be able to wait until normal office hours to get that help.

Hope this helps you and that she feels better soon!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: She can have a bowel movement but she doesn't want to let it all out. She will cry and stop but then continue later on.

I know she impacted anal glands b/c I have to empty them about once a month. But her anal glands have never hurt her. In fact she doesn't even scoot on the floor. I usually know when it is time to empty them b/c of the smell.

I plan on taking her to the vet tom. but wanted to see if there was anything I could do to ease her pain temporarily.
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Check the glands today. They can get infected which is way more painful than just an impaction.

Also she could potentially have spine, hip or knee pain causing her to cry when she gets in the right position to pass a stool.

She still might be having some sort of obstruction that is only partial too.

I'm glad you have plans to see the vet tommorrow.
Wish I had an easy home fix for you but the vet should be able to help you.
Hope all goes well there!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics