Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

My dog is vomiting green liquid. What would cause this

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting a green liquid. He did not eat his dinner tonight which is very unusual.

Any comments would be helpful

Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Vomiting yellow or green usually means that the dog is vomiting on an empty stomach and you are seeing bile. Some dogs get some pretty severe acid reflux so you will want to see the vet to rule this out as a cause. The vet might want to prescribe an antacid like tagamet to help if this is the case.

Until you can see the vet, you should switch her over to a diet of only boiled chicken and white rice or baby food that does not contain garlic or onions. Lamb and rice works well. This will help to settle her stomach. Try not to let her stomach get empty.

If you have not yet seen the vet for a fecal exam, you will want to do so to rule out parasite as the cause.

If she is active and playing, you can keep an eye on her and see if it improves.

If she has not been in yet for her yearly appointment, this would be a good time.

Let me know if you have more questions.