NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Dog with cancer - constipation problems, need advice.

Customer Question

I have 7 year old beagle with advanced stage Lymphosarcoma. He is on Prednisone to shrink the lymphnodes and reduce pressure on his organs and Lasix for respitory aid. These diaretics are making him constipated and uncomfortable. Please read my responses to your questions and advise on diet, homeopathics, etc as soon as possible. Thanks, Lindsay

1) what specifically does your dog eat, or refuse to eat? Describe appetite, favorite or disliked foods. Is there any time of day appetite is best or worst?
Answer: He has a relatively good apetite for salmon, tuna, beef, and liver. He will not eat any fruits or vegitables, which he used to enjoy. He is now constipated from the meds and is uncomfortable.

2) drinking. Is your dog thirsty or not? Prefers cold water or room temp? Drinks a lot or a little at a time. Frequency? Answer: Is thirsty from meds, drinks alot at one time and prefers cold water. He is drinking about every half hour to 45 mins.

3) Does your dog seem to feel cold or hot? Prefer the sun or shade? Keep his head in the shade, body in the sun? Describe what you've observed. Answer: he seems to be hot and lays on the floor rather then his bed. Prefers the air conditioning.

3) emotional state. If your dog were a human, how would you describe what you see. What makes him fearful, excited, or angry? Answer: We just found out two days ago that he has cancer and i've been very upset lately. He seems to know that there is someting wrong is sick/ depressed. At times he seems happy, but lacking energy to do much. He is Anemic.

4) personality--describe with examples.Shy or friendly? Likes other dogs/people? Outstanding characteristics..
Answer: He is extremely friendly with people and other dogs. Want to do some things that he used to do, but is not able. I think this makes him depressed.

5)body condition--thin? (you did say swollen belly) hair problems? (describe). chew himself, discolorations (and body locations of these.)Front akle white fur is tinted pinkish tan
Answer: He is losing hair, chewing a spot on his front ankle, but no open wound. He is losing weight, but belly is large due to swollen lymph nodes, liver, and spleen. Weaker then usually due to cancer and Anemia.

6)Sleep, dreams. Preferred sleep time. Sleep calm or restless. Preferred sleep position. Answer: He sleeps when he can get comfortable enough. Not long. He does dream sometimes, wakes easily, restless. The only position he seems to be able to rest/sleep in is laying on his side on the hard floor.

6)urine, stool. Is dog constipated or loose? Odor, appearance of stool and urine. Does he vomit with his stomach problems? If so, what does it look like?
Answer: Urine is clear to very light yellow, slight urine oder. Constipation, very fowl smell,mustard yellow color, fowl gas,

7)Past health problems with your dog; at what ages (and how old is your friend now.) Answer: No Previous known problems, He is 7

8)What vaccinations has he had. Answer: he has had all his shots

9)Do you know the family history? Any health conditions in mother or other relatives? Answer: Don't know

With the answers to these questions, it will be possible to identify the remedies that will support your friend's health.

Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You may find that adding some plain canned pumpkin (not spiced pie filling) to his diet will help his constipation problem. This adds fiber to the diet and that holds water keeping stools soft. If he won't eat that even with a little sugar added you should ask your vet about a dosage of metamucil for the same issue. Maybe he would take that in some home made chicken soup.
I have found with really ill dogs that often swapping to a home cooked diet helps them feel better. Not raw as their immune system is too depressed but a cooked diet. Often vets have diet sheets to try and there are sites and books out there on the topic.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I didn't find this answer very helpful. I feel like I spent more time answering your questions than you did mine. I realize that this site doesn't offer professional medical advice, but I was hoping to get more info than this. I found more just surfing the web. I do appreciate the time and advice that you gave, i'm just sorry it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. If there is anyone who has some kind of cancer treatment / oncology expertise, that might be more helpfull.
Thanks
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I did not ask you any questions - I answered the question you asked about constipation in your dog that you felt was due to your dog's cancer treatment. You gave a very complete history which was helpful if you had asked more questions.
You did not ask for alternative cancer treatments you asked how to make your dog more comfortable.
I'm sorry if you were dissatisified but I can't answer unasked questions. As far as I can tell you have only asked one question - so I don't know where you got all the 'questions' from that you answered here.
Veterinary advice on a site such as this could be iffy as the person has never seen your dog and thus might miss something critical in offering a treatment plan.
If you are seeking alternative cancer treatments I suggest seeing a holistic vet in person with your pet to discuss such treatment. If there were a magic cure be assured someone would be announcing it to everyone on every website - there just isn't.
If you want to help him with his constipation - try the fiber - it usually helps a lot.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thanks
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are welcome if you did find an answer helpful you can accept it.
Just so you know specialists get nothing unless an accept is given.
If you are looking for more info I can see what I can find for you.