NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

my dog bleeds and strains when he goes to the bathroom

Customer Question

My dog has been straning to poop, he strains so hard he makes himself sore,in the ribs ,hips etc rear area,he keeps his tail tucked and never wags it anymore,when I took him to the vet they said his hips were the problem, I do not see this, he strains so hard,his penis comes out, and now has a small lump in his upper inner thigh,which they told me they would watch.He also has had blood from and in his stool. How does this relate to his hips, they put him on Flagyl 500 and a drug called Rimadyl.he stoped eating and his legs became strangly wobbly, which he did not have before.he was only sore like his muscles hurt,but he was still walking ok, with no wobble.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You might try seeing if adding some fiber to his diet will make it easier to pas a stool. Adding a couple of tablespoons of plain canned pumpkin (not pie mix) may help this. Fiber holds fluids making it easier to pass the stool as the stool stays softer.
The nerves coming from the spine control the muscle action in the rear of the dog including the ones for the inestines. Hip area pain can also impact the issues with the nerves in this area. It may be they think your dog has a degenerative spine or hip disease that is causing the dog pain when defecating. This may make the dog retain stool and wait to defecate as long as he can, leading to constipation, straining, and more pain.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I WANT TO TELL YOU THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, BUT THE ONE PILL THEY GAVE ME MADE HIM GET WORSE, AND AFTER MUCH LOOKING ON THE INTERNET I FOUND THAT THAT DRUG WAS GIVEN TO HUMANS AND REMOVED FROM THE SHELF,DUE TO ALL THE HORRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS, THIS DOG OFA'D GOOD AT AGE TWO, I DO BELIEVE HE HAS SOME DIEGESTIVE PROBLEMS.I ALSO FOUND SOME LUMPS I DO BELIEVE ARE HERNIAS,FROM STRAINING.I ALSO LOOKED UP THE TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS FROM THE Rimadyl,AND BELIEVE IT HAS MADE MATTERS WORSE,HE WAS IN BETTER SHAPE BEFORE HE HAD THE PILLS,AND THE FIRST THREE SIDE EFFECTS HE HAD AFTER TAKING THEM..I THINK I WILL TAKE HIM TO A SPECIALIST TO HAVE MAYBE A COLON SEARCH,I THINK THERES A MUCH MORE UNDERLYING PROBLEM THEN THEY ARE LOOKING AT.I AGAIN THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX FEED MY DOGS A VERY GOOD ALL NATURAL DIET AND AM A VERY ATTENTIVE OWNER,I NOTICE THINGS MOST PEOPLE NEVER SEE.I GUESS ITS HARD TO ASK A QUESTION ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON ,WHEN NO ONE KNOWS HIM LIKE I DO, TO SEE WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO A DOG WHO WENT TO THE VET IN MARCH, AND HER SAYIING HOW WONDERFUL HE LOOKED AND WHAT GREAT SHAPE HE WAS IN TO THIS, THEY ARE ALSO THE ONES WHO TOLD ME THREE YEARS AGO THAT THE BLEEDING FROM WHEN HE WENT TO THE BATHROOM WAS COLITIS.WHICH I KNOW THINK WAS MIS-DIGIONOSED.
THANKS AGAIN
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Rimadyl works fine if the vet is monitoring the dog to make sure any pet that does react poorly too it is pulled off of it. If animals responded in exactly the same way to medications as people do there would be no need for human trials on any medication.
Hernias are inherited problems usually.
Flagyl is used in humans all the time and it is one of the top meds to resolve intestinal problems in dogs. I've used it many times on pets and they heal up great.
"All natural" and "good" are not equivalent terms. The ingredients in foods that dogs are allergic to often are 'all natural' such as corn, wheat, beef, chicken etc.
I do think a specialist is a very good idea. Often they see more tricky cases frequently enough to recognize unusual medical conditions better than a vet who only sees them rarely if at all.
Not everything can be diagnosed and cured as each animal is such an individual as well as being a regular member of his or her species.