NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My puppy wont eat or drink

Customer Question

I just purchased a Shih Tzu puppy. I was t old one time he was 13 weeks old and then was told he is 8 weeks old, so I don't know. He has not had any shots yet. He will be going to my vet tomorrow but he does not seem to want to eat or drink water today. I don't know if he is just scared from the move or wht. We just picked him up last night. What can I do or should I do. I am really worried about him not drinking water. I gave him some with a seringe. He then acted as if his tummy hurt.
Need help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
He may be sick and stress from change can bring on illness. He should have had preventative shots before he left the breeder but as he has not there are several diseases he might have.
I would try him with some plain pedialyte or some sugar water to see if that helps him be interested in drinking.
You can also try him with some baby food chicken or meat and vegetable foods.
He may not know the food you are offering is dog food if its different from what he is used to. Call the breeder and ask what the pups were being fed.
If you have a pet supply store nearby you can see if they have a product such as Nutrical or Vitastat or Dyne that is sticky nutritious stuff that usually comes in a tube. You can put it right in his mouth or mix with the water you are giving to give him extra energy.
You are right he needs to eat and drink and you should get him to a vet as soon as you can if he won't. If he starts being lethargic you should find an emergency vet today for him.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I tried to call the breeder this morning but I got the answer that I figured I would get. I think that they are in it for the money only as the puppies had not seen a vet yet, he had stickers all in his hair, he had poob stuck all in his hair, he smelled like pee, so I don't think they are very interested in the dogs. I will do the best I can for him today and take him to my vet tomorrow unless I can not get him to drink water. I have a wonderful vet that has been taking care of my 9 year Shih Tzu since he was 2 months old. I am glad that I rescued this little guy! Thanks for your help!
Susan
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Oh yes, I di ask about the dog food last night when I picked him up but they were feeding them some store brand dry dog food. I bought him Iams puppy food, can & dry and also Eukenuba. I guess it is different but I think it is better for him.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are quite welcome and see if your vet is available for emergency calls - sometimes there is an answering service who will get the vet to call you back with help.
I suspected the breeder was not so great from what you said but sometimes you can pry out info that helps. I'm glad you have this little guy too as you sure care more than his breeder did.
I've been known to report breeders like that to humane authorities - and save more than just one!

Your food may be better but going to a better food too suddenly can sure cause a tummyache in a pup not used to it.
Try some babyfood chicken along with the pedialyte or sugar water. You can put that right in his mouth and he might like it. Its bland enough it may not bother him.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I will do that. I guess I did not help by giving him the other food so soon. I will go get some baby food and give him the sugar water. If after I take him to my vet tomorrow and I find that anything is wrong other than just from the move I will report him. I hate when animals are abused. If we do not speak for them they have no one. I will follow through when i get more info tomorrow. You have been much help today. Thanks again!