kittylatte
kittylatte,
194171

The Unknown Passing Of A Young Dog

Customer Question

I had a 8 month old male Husky until this morning when I found him dead. He was found vomiting about 3 days ago, and that's the only time we saw him do that. We noticed 2 days ago that his appetite was very slow, one day ago that he was drooling excessively. He was very lethargic also, and would look at us like he wasn't aware of us being there. We had an appointment to take him to the vet this morning, but I found him at 4:30 this morning dead. I also noticed that when his bowels emptied upon death he passed about a hand-sized amount of blood with the stool. What could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  kittylatte replied 11 years ago.
I am very sorry for your loss. Without a necopsy, it is impossible to say for sure what caused this. If you can have this done, I would as it will answer your questions as to what caused his death. Guessing, I would say it sounds like he may have gotten into some poison. It is a shame the vet did not have you bring him in immediately. My heart goes out to you.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Viv Graves's Post: I thought of poison first too, but there is absolutely nothing he can get into around here. I have 3 grandbabies living with me, so nothing is left lying around for little hands. Do you think there is any way that cat feces with cat litter on it could do this? Is cat litter poisonous? It's the only thing that I have seen him in. I have many cats. If he eats their litter can he get their worms if they have any? Could it be worms? He didn't show " normal " signs of having worms. I know that animals will not show that they're sick until it becomes bad, but until Friday he was acting fine except for being off his food, and that's not real uncommon here in the South this time of year. I would just like to have some kind of idea of what it could be because I have 3 other dogs that stay in the house. Rebel was outside.
Rebel could well have gotten into something outside. Lawn chemicals are toxic, antifreeze is deadly and the list goes on.
I very much doubt that eating cat feces would have caused this. Worms do not kill a dog this quickly even if he had them, he would have had symptoms for quite some time.I have dogs that raid my cat's litter box too, and although I try to discourage this highly, they have never come to any harm when they do manage to get into it,
A necropsy (autospy) is really the only way to ascertain the cause of death. You should have your dogs and cats stools checked for parasites if you suspect they have them anyway.
I live in the South also and have 22 dogs here (I do dog rescue) and none of them refuse to eat even in this heat.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Viv Graves's Post: Kittylatte; I believe in organic gardening and lawncare, so we do not have any chemicals around for him to get into. I don't live close to any neighbors that he could've visited to get into something. I am in a quandry as to what it could be. I have 30 cats and 4 dogs myself. No other dog is sick, and neither are my cats. Most of my cats are "throwaways" or their babies before I could get them fixed. The cats are in and out animals as are the dogs. I am leaning to the belief that someone did this to my dog on purpose. I don't know why, as he was not aggressive at all, except when he welcomed me home, when he would jump on me so I would pet him. But, like I said before, we don't live very close to anyone. I've got to find out what it is so I can protect my other babies from it. At the end Rebel would just stand with his head down, with drool pouring out of his mouth. He no longer responded to his nsme, and in fact seemed to not even realize we were there. I don't know what could've affected him in just 2 days. I know a good bit about animal husbandry, but this just blows my mind. He went from a happy, healthy 8 month old, to dead in under 3 days.
The only way you are going to find out is to have a necropsy done. I am so very sorry for the loss of your dog. The other thing that occured to me is that he may have been bitten by something poisonous, spider, poisonous toad, snake. My heart goes out to you as it's bad enough to loose a beloved pet but to not know why makes it worse.
Please let me know if you have further questions and don't forget to "accept" my answer so I can credit. Thanks!