DogGoneCafe5
DogGoneCafe5,
205633

puppy wont bear weight on hind leg

my 9 week old doberman was treated for worms and was given heargaurd for heart worms, 5 hours later he became quite, lethargic and will not stand on his left hind leg, is this a side affect? he has no pain in his leg, i have poked and squeezed it,i have checked the pads on his paws
I would call the vet back about this. It may be that was way too much poison at once for the puppy or it may be that he is one of the dogs that will not do well with Heartgard and needs another type of heartworm prevention.
The lethargy is of real concern and I'd call the vet and explain what is going on and ask if they need to see the pup again.
If he also had shots then this could be a reaction to a vaccine.
This is not normal for a wormed pup for sure.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: calling the vet was the first thing I did, she stated that she didn't feel this was a side affect.
Heartguard plus can cause a reaction in some dogs.

I recommend that you get MILK THISTLE from a vitamin store as soon as possible and give at least 100mg of a standardized milk thistle formula (NOW Foods, or Enzymatic THerapy brand) to remove the 'toxins that are in Heartguard. Milk thistle should be given daily for a least a few days.

Since Heartguard Plus is supposed to provide protection from roundworm and hookworm, if your pup was given more 'worm medication' the likelyhood of too much is most probably.

In Chinese Medicine the rear paw governs the liver and blood. LIV3 is the acupunture point and since I have a dog with a liver condtion that also favors (won't stand on) this leg, my theory is that the heartguard/worming medicines have resulted in a liver insult (since all medications pass through the liver and blood) and the dog is 'feeling it' in this acupunture point.

As strange as this seems to believe, favoring paws, or licking certain areas is a dogs way of trying to 'rub away' discomfort.

Please try the milk thistle to cleanse his/her liver and talk to your vet about alternate ways of handling internal parasites, such as having the puppy consume diatomateous earth (FOOD GRADE) to rid the body of the parasite.

thank you!

DogGoneCafe5,
Experience: 
I would NOT put a toxic and unregulated substance such as Milk Thistle in a dog that is already ill. Using such things without veterinary advice is dangerous and may kill your puppy.
If your vet was not interested in seeing your pup again then in my opinion you need to change veterinarians and seek a second opinion.
As I stated this certainly could be a side effect of an overload of poisons in your pup. It might be something else too and need veterinary attention. Using unregulated herbs advised by someone who has never seen your pup and has no idea of its health status is not the best idea.