NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

feather to the vet for loose stools and twitching about a month ago

Customer Question

we took feather to the vet for loose stools and twitching about a month ago. vet said it was hypoglacemia and to give her jello water 4 tid. 2 weeks later she started having seizers. went into a seizer for 4 hrs strait 1 day.with all of us holding her in tears. had to drive her 2 hrs to ervets. she was in intensive care 3 days we found out it was insulinoma. she is a very spoiled and smart 6 yr old springer lab mix. has never been sick a day in her life we are giving her predisone 1/2 20 mg 1 tid and feeding canned food every 3 hrs with snacks all day. Is she in any pain ? she is very tired and drinks lots of water and is getting very fat. what should we expect the next few weeks? how will she act? we know she is not going to be with us much longer. she is getting weaker in the hind legs everyday and is very shaky at times. please help us!! we cannot bear to see her go thru anymore seizers.it still breaks our hearts to see her sweet little face eyes soo big and sooo scared just before the seizers began. we just need a few answers and a little advice......
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
from this site I found a suggestion for life extension being surgery to remove as much of the mass as possible and then doing medications
http://www.vetinfo.com/dinsulomas.html
"Medical therapy includes feeding many small meals, administration of prednisone and use of
diazoxide. There may be some additional information available to your vet by calling a veterinary school, as there has been a small amount of work done on specific chemotherapy agents for this condition and the use calcium
channel blockers (usually used to control blood pressure) as an aid in controlling blood sugar since they sometimes lower it as a side effect to their normal actions.

It is possible to use medical therapy without doing surgery but surgical removal of as much of the mass as possible helps more than anything else in extending lifespan of patients with insulinomas. This is a temporary effect, so you have to think about how important it is to you and your dog to gain a year or so of time. There are a few dogs who actually seem to recover completely post surgically but the percentage is probably less than
5% and may be even lower than that. "
there is more info on surgery etc on that site.
An additional medication Diazoxide (20-80 mg/kg/day, t.i.d.) is suggested to alleviate clinical signs in some dogs.
Its really hard to cope with a terminal illness in a pet. Make her time with you as happy as you can and do all her favorite things as often as you can.
Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: thank you for your reply. i already have this information and surgery is not an option at this point.my question was will she have more seizers and is she in any pain .its hard to tell as she sleeps so much.only wakes to eat and drink and potty.her faverite things are walking chasing balls and she just can barly get up at all.all we do do is pet her constantly as we cry and tell her we love her.as we wait for the awfull seizers to come and distort our baby into what we dont want to remember her by. im sorry mayby there is no answer we will just have to wait.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If her blood sugar drops too low she may have more seizures that is always a possibility.
It can be hard to tell if a dog is in pain but sleeping means she is probably more tired feeling than anything.
I can say I learned over the years its better not to be upset near the dog no matter how hard your heart hurts. Dogs know when you are distressed and it stresses them to know you are unhappy so being as upbeat as you can with her may help her spirits some hard as it is to do.
Roll a ball to her for her to catch as a new game. It may bring her comfort to sleep with some of her favorite balls too.
This is one of the many times we loving owners wish we could talk to the animals for real to ask 'does it hurt' or 'do you need anything'. The best we can do is keep our pets comfortable and as happy as possible. And when they leave us behind remember all the good and fun times you had together. You may also find this site of use when that time comes www.petloss.com. I find the rainbow bridge concept a comforting one myself.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hi i just wanted to tell you that we burried our Feather dog last nite in her fav place under her tree. it was the most heart breaking thing we ever have done. im not sure i will ever get over this we took her too vet and while they injected her with death she licked my face for the last time.i have not stoped crying yet. i just hope wedid the rightthing.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If you have not seen this site www.petloss.com you really should check it out and the rainbow bridge story is a help to many.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
I do believe that ending the pain is a final gift we can give our beloved pets as much as it hurts us to do so.
True love to me includes putting the welfare of others above your own.
You may find your sorrow lingers a long time as it should for a long time friend that is lost to you, but remember all the very best times you had together so that her memories for you are mostly happy ones.
It may sound impossible now but you may find that adding another dog to your life, not as a replacement but as a new friend, will help your healing and let you remember the good times more clearly than the bad.
I'm sure she knew how well you loved her.
You have my deepest sympathy for your loss.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thank you nancy iam veiwing rainbow bridge at this very moment to update from special needs to loss. we do have another dog named busterarotty shepard mix who is greaving just as much or worse he is 2 yrs and she was the light of his life as well.although for the past 2 weeks i think i may have replaced her cause of her being so weak inher hind legs and not being able to play.w/him. we love him just as much and will do whatever to help him thru this. he sniffed and helped us bury her.but he still seems to be looking for her in places she slept.the last 2 months since she got sick. but wont go anywhere near where shes buried, he wont eat or play and he growls at our 16 son (Feathers boy) who we refered to him as.our son was kinda hurt but i explained to him it was just his way of greiving. i hope this is the case.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Buster too may find that a new dog friend will help him adjust to the loss. Opposite sex usually works best if you decide on another pet.
Whenever a dog is lost in a family there are changes in pack structure. As Buster is 2 now, and maturing into his adulthood as a dog, he may try to be pushy just to see if he can have Feather's role in the home.
Best way around that is to have him do something he knows to do on command (sit works great) when he wants something and then praise and reward him for doing it. That lets him know that while his old boss (Feather) is gone that doesn't put him in charge of your son or the other family members. Arm your son with treats Buster likes and have him get Buster to sit before going out or being fed etc and reward him for doing a command and the lines of the new pack should shake out fine.
Glad you like the rainbow bridge!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i wish i could send you some money for being so helpfull and understanding but since Feathers illness im afraid he have no resorces to fall back on, till we get caught up.but i will never forget about you. i was just reading about the pack and how that stuff works and i think it is just what is happening here. he became rather pushy when she first got sick.and i will use your suggestion starting now. thank you again and have many freinds with many pet ???s
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

All that you have to do to pay your specialist is accept an answer. This will not cost you more money but will just transfer your deposit over to their account so that you they can be paid.

Hope this helps! Don't forget to accept Nancy's answer.

Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
And we do love referrals from satisified customers no matter what :)