NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

dog vasectomy

Customer Question

ok, I want my dog to have a vasectomy, my vet said he'd do it but he's never done it before. he says it's not in the medical books. where can i find the procedure information to give to my vet. and as long as i am here, i'd like say that the birth control methods concerning dogs are barbaric, it's like we are living in the 6th century, one vet told me he wouldn't give my dog a vasectomy because my dog would still have the desire to have sex. well besides my dog who has a monogistic relationship with his bitch. this vets response is the funnist story this year.. no female birth control pills?? this must be a man's career field due to the fact, nothing but a hysterectomy is the choice, well let me tell you,, I have had a hysterectomy and i would never ever do that to my animals....

Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I suspect your vet didn't explain the process well to you. Probably was flustered over the idea of a vasectomy for a dog.
While that procedure will keep the dog from producing pups it won't have any of the other side benefits of neutering. Altering a male reduces aggression with other male dogs, it limits the territorial marking of leg lifting, it decreases prostate problems as the dogs age, it eliminates possibilities of perianal tumors, and of course a neutered dog can't get testicular cancer. On top of all that altered males tend to have more time and attention for their owners as they are not busy thinking about girls all the time.
Spay surgery for female dogs is very different than the hysterectomy done on women. Dogs have a different hormone cycle (we run on estrogen and they run on progesterone) and the surgery has less impact on their lives. Dogs heal about 10 times or more faster than human women seem to. Usually 10 - 14 days and a dog is totally healed.
Spaying a dog eliminates problems later in life such as life threatening uterine infection called pyometra which is common in unspayed and unbred female dogs.
Putting up with the mess, noise, and vigilance needed to manage a female in season or a male interested in breeding is not everyone's idea of fun so if you don't plan on breeding altering your dogs is not only easier on you but it improves their chances of living longer and being better pets.
There is some medical evidence that suggests that vasectomy can cause long term negative immunological effects. The problem results from contained sperm having nowhere to go, which requires the body to destroy it internally. This can sometimes result in auto-immunity disorders that may cause health problems for some male pets.
I did find this information on experimental surgery on dogs testing clips to block the vas deferens to make the dogs infertile
http://www.vasectomy-information.com/jhaver/jhaver6.htm
Usually the vas deferens is tied off in sterilization surgeries.
I am a breeder and yet I have many spayed and neutered dogs here and have placed many over the years. In general a spayed or neutered dog lives longer and makes a better pet. I think its worth doing instead of leaving the dogs with hormone driven urges they cannot fulfill and that can do them harm as they age.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: as I was saying, the same problems that a dog would have by giving him a vasectomy vs castrationa are by my studies are the same for a man. you speak of if only animals could talk.
there is no man whom whould vote for the castration, also, I do not want to change the bahavoir , and my dog has a dog wife.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If you have an intact female then you should make sure to make yourself familiar with all the symptoms of pyometra. Allowing her to be bred by a male with a vasectomy increases her chances of that deadly disease of the uterine lining.
Unlike humans dogs only shed the uterine lining completely if they have a litter. Intact dogs that do not get pregnant are at high risk for pyometra. Believe me spaying when a dog is healty is lots easier than spaying when the dog is nearly dead from uterine infection.
Dogs don't need sex to be good companions for each other while no dog would vote to be altered no dog would vote to never produce pups either or to not run in the street as they wish or to not kill chickens or chase livestock or eat dog food while we have steak etc.
I have both intact and altered animals at my own house. The happier ones are the altered ones and they definitly tend to live longer than the ones that are intact. The neutered males will breed an intact female if they are good friends. Female pheromones are powerful things.
Read here about pyometra
www.marvistavet.com/html/pyometra.html
The ONLY behavior I've seen change in a dog when altered is the level of dog/dog aggression. My best (and most dangerous) watch dog is one that was altered at the age of 5 months.