Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Boxer in need of 2nd opinion

We recently moved from Germany (US Air Force) to Idaho. First was the plane trip then the cross country drive from PA. Our 5 yr old boxer, Greta, started to have blood in her urine but not in her stool. The Vet put her on some Amoxicillan and now something stronger as her condition hasn't improved. The xrays show no stones in her kidneys and the pH level of her urine is getting better but the Vet is unsure of where the blood is coming from. He plans to do blood work up (at the urging of my wife) and also to take a sample of urine directly from the bladder. Greta is still in great spirts and no whimpering etc. Any thoughts??

Thanks
Greg

Even if there are no stones in the kidneys, there could be crystals in the urine that are causing problems. If I were you, I would have the bloodwork done and ask for a urinalysis (by needle from the bladder for a clean catch) and see what comes of it.

Let me know if you still have specific questions. I would be happy to answer them.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: There is a thought that there could be crystals but that doesn't explain the blood.

You will almost always see blood in the urine when crystals (sand) are present. The crystals abrade the urinary tract and can even cause blockages as they grow.

Let me know if you still don't understand.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: How long would it take to clear if Greta is on a strong antibiotic? The Vet will be doing a clean catch and blood work tonight and early tomorrow.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
What other questions should I be asking of the Vet as we are new to the area?

You should see results within 72 hours of starting an antibiotics. If your dog has urinary crystals, you will need antibiotics AND a dietary change to a prescription diet.

Be sure to ask the vet about how probable a recurrance is after treatment. Ask about how long you will have to use the special food. Ask about whether or not you should increase fluid intake with pedialyte or gatorade.

Does this help more?

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Yes, my bad, in addition to antibiotics she's on Science Diet C/D perscrition. Her fluid intake is normal. It seems that she has to urinate more frequently as well. But not a lot comes out just some urine mixed with blood.

This is normal with crystals or a UTI.

Let me know if you still have specific questions that I can answer.

If you are satisfied with my answers, don't forget to accept one so that your deposit can be moved over to my account.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thanks already done. I'll update you later. Good night.
Thanks for accepting an answer. I hope you come back with all your questions in the future.