Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

puppy: breeder gave her her first shots and weaned her already

My puppy is 6 wks. old (Female Boxer) The breeder gave her her first shots and weaned her already! I noticed a discharge from her vagina...could the shots have given her a yeast infection and what should I do? She is really small and doesn't eat much...what can I do to help her? I am feeding her Iams puppy (large breed) and adding a little bit of Esbilac 2nd Step milk. (It's the only way I can get her to eat). Also, the breeder gave her a bath and I think she had a reaction because her skin is really dry and flaking. What can I do to help my poor little puppy?

I really think that you need to give the breeder a call back and see if she can tell you anything about the dog's condition.

She would not have gotten a yeast infection from the vaccine but she could have some vaginitis or another problem that you are unaware of.

At this age, the dog should still be with her mother. They should stay with Mom until 8 weeks of age.

Boxers are prone to skin allergies so you will want to see your vet to rule this out and to discuss your treatment options.

You can bathe her using a gentle puppy shampoo.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I just wanted to ask if I should put her on a bottle until she's 8 wks. old along with soft food? The breeder is on vacation until the 6th of July she gave the impression that she was fine and ready to go to her home and eating good. I asked her about the dry skin and she said she thought it was due to the heat. What should I do?

I am worried that you have gotten a dog that will be trouble for a lifetime. If dogs have skin problems this early in life, they will normally have them for the rest of their life.

You can mix some replacement milk in with his food and you should not need to bottle feed. Just be sure to feed him several times a day.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Mrs. Falkner I am having more trouble with the same puppy (see question above). I tried the replacement milk with food....evaporated milk with baby rice....and bayer baby asprine because she has a fever. She is throwing up and has been for about two days. I am worried that she won't make it until I can get her to a vet tomorrow. She is sleeping a lot and does drink water but that's about it. Is there anything I can do? I've tried everything I know of.