Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

my hamster has weepy eyes and labored breathing, whats wrong

Customer Question

I noticed yesterday that my hamster was breathing oddly and her eyes weren't opening. This morning she was awake, but he eyes stayed closed and she wasn't moving around that much. Her breathing was labored, very. I wiped her eyes, but she still didn't open them. She just kept walking around the cage laying here and there and getting back up, laying down.
Tonight her breathing was the same, as well as her eyes. She's still aimlessly wandering around and laying here and there. I didn't change anything at all in their environment (her and her sister are sharing the cage - have been since I got them 2 months ago). I can't figure out whats wrong, she's my first hamster, and I can't get to a vet's office.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It sounds like she might have an upper respiratory infection. This normally requires antibiotics to clear it up.

I suggest that you see the vet first thing tomorrow to have them take a look. Until then, try to get her to drink as much as you can.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If you have more questions, just let me know.

If not, don't forget to accept an answer.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: There's no possible way I can get Nuala to a vet. That just won't happen.
So what can I do for her - besides try to get her to drink more...
Should I separate her and her sister?
I read somewhere that giving them a mixture of warm water, milk and honey would help - is that true?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

No. Milk can severely upset their stomach. At home, the only thing that you can do it use pediatric (not adult) nasal saline drops in each nostril to clear mucus. You can also run a humidifier in the room to help her breathe easier.

There are no over the counter products that are safe for these little guys.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Right now I have an AC and a air purifier in the room. Do I still need to add the humidifier?

Are there any naturepathic remedies that might help? I have lots of that. As well as a few essential oils (lavendar, tea tree, eucalyptus, etc etc). Would any of that help at all?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You can add some eucalyptus to the humidifier or to a pot of water boiling on the stove so that it gets into the air.

Yes. You still need to add moisture to the air. If you don't have a humidifier, you can use a pot of water boiling on the stove to add some moisture.