Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

Sudden very large mass on Dogs side

Customer Question

sudden large mass on dogs side floats around under the skin and it is not hard, what is this?It seems to be growing in size came on very quickly.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

This is a common place for fatty tumors. Fatty tumors are usually pretty maleable and feel like they move from side to side under your fingers. They are common in an aging pet. If you see one, you will usually see more.

No matter what, you need to see the vet as soon as you can to have a needle aspiration done to examine some contents of the lump. This will rule out cancer. These lumps are only cancerous in a small number of patients but you still need to have it checked.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I received your PM. If the mass is growing quickly through the day, it's probably not a fatty tumor. I would feel more led to think that you are dealing with an allergic reaction to a bee sting or bug bite.

If you suspect this, you can use a dose of benadryl as an antihistamine if you are comfortable monitoring her at home. The dosage that my vet recommends is 1 mg per lb of body weight.

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am glad that I was able to help. Now that you have found the bite, you can apply some amonia to the area to reduce swelling. Then use benadryl as mentioned above to treat the symptoms. You can use it every 8-12 hours as needed.

Don't forget to accept my answer if it was helpful to you. This will not cost more money. It will just move your deposit over to my account.