NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

dog: take phene and potassium bromide for seizures..meds

Customer Question

My dog take phene and potassium bromide for seizures. Are there other more effect meds?
Category: Dog
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.

Hope this helps!

Phenobarbital is the most commonly used medication to treat epilepsy in the dog. If given in the lowest dose required to keep the seizures to a minimum, Phenobarbital can be a very useful medication with minimal side effects. Many dogs being given Phenobarbital are living very normal and happy lives. Some pet owners are adverse to giving their dog a “drug” for long periods and look at the situation of having a pet that is “drugged-up all the time” to be unacceptable. Most veterinarians agree, too, that if the dog requires such high levels of medication that it acts and feels “drugged-up” that this scenario is unacceptable. Fortunately, the majority of cases will be helped by medication with little, if any, side effects. The “side effect” we are looking for is the elimination for those awful seizures!

A drug called Dilantin (phenytoin) has been used for years but in general has been a secondary choice after Phenobarbital.

In some cases Valium may be used when Phenobarbital cannot be utilized or when a combination of medications are prescribed.

Potassium bromide (KBr) is being used in some dogs where response to traditional medication is unsatisfactory. Potassium Bromide had been used to treat human epileptics for over 100 years. It may be the anticonvulsant of choice for dogs with liver disease.   Sometimes veterinarians will prescribe KBr along with Phenobarbital for patients who do not respond well to Phenobarbital alone. KBr is not easily obtained and may require a pharmacist to acquire and formulate the proper dose.

Just as the brain must be in good balance with the rest of the body, so should we look for a balance in the treatment of epilepsy. Too much medication is not good because we don’t want the pet to have dulled senses; reoccurring seizure episodes are unacceptable so we may need to use a little medication.

Any dog receiving anti-epileptic medication should have periodic blood samples evaluated for blood chemistry balance. Since many medications are degraded and eliminated from the body via the liver, an assessment of liver function is a priority.

WHAT TO DO DURING A SEIZURE

If you happen to witness a seizure, there is not much you can do at home to get it under control. Try to remove any objects from the immediate area that the dog may bump in to and injure itself.   Do not try to open the dog’s mouth to pull the tongue out. Although it can happen, it is extremely rare for the dog to “swallow the tongue” and obstruct the airway. Plus the strength of the dog’s jaws will probably prohibit any attempts you make to open the mouth to inspect the area.

NOTE: If your dog is actually choking on something and is consciously gagging, hacking, salivating and in trouble breathing, you may need to intervene. However this discussion concerns how to deal with the epileptic patient displaying seizure activity as described previously. Visible choking and gagging may require that you inspect the mouth for objects.

It may be helpful to gently talk to the dog and to try to make the dog comfortable during the seizure activity by rolling it onto a blanket or padded mat. If you try to pick the dog up you will need to be very careful because the dog will be thrashing about and you very likely will lose your grip and drop the dog. Try to turn off any loud music or other stimuli such as bright lights, and escort any screaming children away from the area. They can watch but they need to be silent. “Do something!! Do something!! ” is the high pitched phrase most often heard during one of these episodes. However, about all you can do is wait.

The most troubling thing you may witness occurs just before a Grande Mal seizure is over. The dog stiffens up, ceases to breathe, and just when you think death has visited the dog, it relaxes and begins to breathe again. In fact what has happened is that the interrupted breathing and resulting carbon dioxide buildup depresses nerve function and terminates the electrical chaos in the brain... and the seizure is turned off. Another marvel of survival! It is as if the dog’s survival center says “Seizure, you want to lock me up in a big muscle spasm and suffocate me? OK. I’ll show you. When I’m unable to breathe the brain will be starved for oxygen and shut down. When those nerve cells that triggered the seizure become deprived of oxygen they'll shut down, too... and the seizure will stop!"

The fact is that EPILEPSY, although truly a challenging condition in the dog, in most cases can be dealt with successfully. Cured... no; managed... yes. Just as each and every pet is a unique individual, every case of epilepsy should be dealt with on an individual basis. Some dogs will never have a seizure, some will have a single seizure and never another, some will have predictable intervals between chronic seizures, and some will have untreatable, repeating and debilitating epilepsy. No two cases will be exactly alike!

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/epilepsy.html
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: Thank Yo
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.

Since you asked no follow-up questions -- may we assume that Joann
Canafax's answer met your needs? If so, would you please honor
her effort (and fullfil your agreement) by Clicking 'Accept' in her
answer post? NOTE: You can stgill do this, even though your Question is now Closed.

If you need more assistance, please post again.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: The information was nothing I didnt already know.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This site is an excellent one on epilepsy and varying treatments including some nutritional things you can do etc.
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/
Click on the table of contents to get to the articles list.
They have articles on other meds used for epilepsy including Zonisamide, Felbamate, Primidonem, Gabapentin and other medications and discount pharmacies etc. Plus info on triggers and avoiding the things that can cause seizures etc. Its really a wealth of information for you.
Hope this helps you!