Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

dog: adopted..humane society..respitory infection, and ear mites..bark

Customer Question

just adopted a pappillion from the humane society, dog has respitory infection, and ear mites. My question is, can these conditions cause delusions? dog will snap around and bark at nothing. when picked up will continue to growl, BUT WILL NOT BITE!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Not usually. This is often just a sign of dominant behavior. I suggest that you start an obedience class with him right away so that he will learn that you are the alpha. Once you teach him to sit, make him sit for meals and for treats.

Dogs like this need special care.

Keep in mind that kennel cough and respiratory infections will often clear up on their own BUT if you see green or yellow snot, you need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: he is antiiotics for the infection and ear mites(drops). when we touch this dog incertain areas he growls more like the back legs. Is this consistent with aggressive behavior?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If he only does it when you pick him up, it could be aggression. Most aggressive dogs do not like to lose control.

In situations like this, you should always see the vet to rule out a medical reason for the behavior and then begin training if that proves false.

Let me know if you want to discuss this more. This is my area of expertise.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
You are a god send!!! The dog will bark at nothing when on the ground. But when he is picked up, will just growl. He has been checked by humane soceity and our regular vet. We have a rat terrier and another pappillion. I did dominence down training with the first pap, could i start there???
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

These little dogs are known for their tempers so I suggest that you go all the way through canine good citizen with him.

Dominance down is great but the dog needs the basics, too. You also need to use the Nothing In Life Is Free theory with him. Make him sit before you take him out. Make him sit for water. Make him sit for everything. The more you make him work, the better the relationship will be.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert