Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

why is my female dog, who is not in heat, bleeding after she pees

She was in heat back in Feburary. She has been done for months. Why is she bleeding just a little bit once she is done peeing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
Is the blood in the urine? Or around the labia?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: around the labia
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

There could be two things going on. First, since the bleeding is around the labia, she might be in heat again. This is a little soon but not unheard of. Second, she could have pyometra, a dangerous uterine infection that is common after a heat cycle. The cervix opens during the heat cycle and bacteria is introduced to the uterus. This can be very dangerous for the dog and most dogs with pyometra need an emergency spay to survive.

You need to see your vet as soon as you can.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Also, I forgot to add, her urine has a very strong smell, which started at the same time as the blood. She spends the day in the crate while we are at work, so she is not drinking water then either, could dehydration also be a cause? (If we put water in the crate, she will urinate in the crate-if we leave her out, she will go on the floor)
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It sounds more like she is suffering from a urinary tract infection or urinary stones.

Dehydration CAN make for more concentrated urine and a stronger smell. If you suspect this, you can give her some pedialyte or gatorade to combat these effects.

I recommend that you see the vet as soon as you can.