NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

dog paw

Customer Question

The back right paw is red and irrated on the inside and he will not put weight on it. He countiues to lick and chew on it what could this be or have caused this?
thank you
Jessica
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
He might have gotten someting in between the toes such as a bit of glass or rock or a splinter when he was walking. If you have foxtail grass he might have a seed from one of those stuck in his food.
He might also have an infection such as an interdigital cyst.
You can try soaking it in warm Epsom salt solution or cleaning it off with Betadine to see if that helps it heal but you might want your vet to have a look at it to see if there is something stuck in there or an infection that needs meds.
He's chewing because it irritates him and he hopes to clean it up to make it better. But he might be making it worse with chewing and keeping it damp.
Best bet I think would be a vet visit to find out the real problem. In the meantime the Epsom salt soak might help him feel better.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you for your reply i will try that asap.
thank you for your time.
Jessica
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Just so you know I meant seed stuck in FOOT not food LOL missed that when I re-read what I typed.
And you are quite welcome. I hope it helps his foot and if not do see the vet.
If my answer was helpful you can hit the accept button for it.
Good luck with him!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: There dosen't seem to anything in his foot. and salt water didn't seem to hurt so no open wound. but getting worse in color more red and tender. could it be possible that he has been stung by an ant or something? going to vet in moring
thank you
jessica
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Could be a sting but could also be an infection from something small where the puncture hole has healed over.
Could also be an infection called an interdigital cyst. Sometimes the Epsom salts will bring those to a head so they can drain and sometimes not.
The vet is your best bet at this point as it might take antibiotics or antifungal meds to resolve the problem.
Good luck with him!