Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Diet to prevent canine Bladder stones Help!

Hello... Last year my dog had 6 ammonium phosphate stones removed from her bladder. As a result, she was put on canine (Perscription Hill) C/D dog food. Well, my dog, 1 year later, needed to have more stones removed but this time they were calcium oxillate stones removed from her bladder. My vet would like to put my dog on Prescription Hill U/D but told me that this food does not prevent the ammonium stones from coming back...when I asked if there was a food that would prevent both stones he replied that Purina may be coming out with something soon...Needless to say, I am very uneasy about what food to give my 10 year old Bichon Frise. It is unfair to have to put her through surgery every year and so I am hoping that you can advise me as to what the best possible food option would be to prevent the return of both ammonium phosphate and calcium oxillate bladder stones. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specialty diets are commercially available and can be made at home that encourage stones to dissolve. These diets have reduced protein so less ammonia is formed in the urine. They also contain less magnesium and phosphorus, the building blocks of struvite, as well as more salt to encourage drinking. The more the pet drinks, the more dilute its urine will be and the more likely the stones will dissolve. Since struvite dissolves in acid urine, these diets contain ingredients to keep the urine acidic. A common trade name for such a diet is S/d. A formula for a similar home made diet is given in another article in this series. I usually give these diets three to five months to work. Dogs should not be left on this low-protein food for more than five or six months. Pets that will not eat the commercial diet will often eat the home cooked one.

source

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you so much for your prompt response...
Are you suggesting that an S/D diet would help to prevent both types of bladder stones (ammonium phosphate and calcium oxilate)? Why should dogs only be kept on this low-protein diet for 5 or 6 months? What is a dog supposed to eat beyond the 5 or 6 months? Does the article that you shared with me contain the home made formula for S/D or can you share that diet with me as well? Is less ammonia in the urine a positive or a negative to dogs with this condition? Does ammonia contribute towards the development of ammonium phosphates? Is it important to understand what struvites are? I thought that struvites were a different type of stone? Thank you in advance for your help and clarification!

Here is the diet to which I was referring:

A diet suitable for cats and dogs with certain lower urinary tract problems that produce bladder stones or crystals in an acid urine (struvite) consists of: 1.5 lb of cooked ground chuck beef, with the fat retained, 1/4 lb of cooked calf’s liver, one cup cooked rice or mashed potatoes , 1 teaspoon canola oil, 1 teaspoon of phosphorus-free calcium carbonate (crushed calcium lactate or calcium gluconate) or 8 "regular Tums" tablets, one quarter Centrum tablet, 100iu of vitamin E. Fifty-six-84 ml (2-3 ounces) of water can be added during cooking if the cat or dog prefers a moister food. The addition of a taurine tablet and the vitamin E from drug store is advisable in cats of all kinds. Taurine deficiencies can lead to heart problems. Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate is known to slow the aging process by scavenging free-radicals). Taurine deficiencies can lead to heart problems. Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate) is known to slow the aging process). Feed approximately 1/4-1/2 lb per ten pounds each day or the amount that maintains optimal body weight. This formula is designed to keep magnesium and phosphorus levels in the food to a minimum. In dogs, bladder stones can sometimes be dissolved using a diet low in protein (not under 15%) which has added salt or potassium chloride to increase water consumption. Most of these dogs need antibiotics as well. In cats with oxalate bladder crystals, the addition of potassium citrate (300mg/day) will sometimes cure the condition. When used in dogs to encourage oxalate crystals to dissolve, the dose is 300mg/10 pounds body weight to a maximum of 1,800mg/day mixed in the food or given as a flavored treat.

http://www.2ndchance.info/homemadediets.htm

This diet will work for oxilate and struvite crystals.

There is not a big problem with keeping the dog on the diet longer but most vets will try the diet for a few months and then opt for the surgery after that time period is over. You COULD keep the dog on the diet for a lifetime if you saw good results.

Since struvite dissolves in acid urine, these diets contain ingredients to keep the urine acidic.

Does this help more? Let me know if there is something that I did not answer! You had a lot of questions!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I know that I have a lot of questions...just trying to get a good understanding of what I am dealing with here...You have been using the term "struvites." Are struvite crystals the same as ammonium phosphate crystals? Can a highly acidic urine cause other health problems that I should be made aware of? Is less ammonia in the urine a positive or a negative to dogs with this condition? Does ammonia contribute towards the development of ammonium phosphates? Thank you again for your help...

I want you to take a look at this page:

http://www.2ndchance.info/calculi.htm

It is full of information about the different kinds of crystals and the way to treat each.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert