NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

dog: is 10 an he started throwing up two nights..only drinking water

Customer Question

my older dog is 10 an he started throwing up two nights ago an i want know what i do help him eat he not eating only drinking water please help me
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I would swap his water bowl for plain pedialyte or a mix of 1 liter of water with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. This will give him some energy and help him to drink more.
You may also find a bland diet stimulates his appetite. You can boil hamburger or chicken and skim off all the fat then mix that with cooked rice in a 1/3 meat to 2/3 starch proportion to entice him to eat something that is very digestible and shouldn't upset his stomach. If he is a really little dog you can try baby food jar meats instead if you want.
They also make products you can get at pet supply stores such as NutriCal, VitaStat, and Dyne which are high calorie supplements that can help 'jump start' a dog into eating. They are sticky and you can glop some right in the dog's mouth and usually it will swallow them readily. This can bring the blood sugar up and perk appetite and it can also maintain a sick dog for quite some time.
You should contact the vet tomorrow about this as the vet may be able to give you meds that will solve the problem or diagnose it if it is something serious.
You can also try kaopectate or pepto bismal. But if there was any blood or stuff that looked like coffee grounds in the vomit do not use pepto pr kaopectate as the aspirin like substance in them can harm the stomach more.
Pepto-Bismol dose at 1 Tablespoon/30 lbs
Kaopectate®—Dose 1 teaspoonful per 10 pounds of body weight
repeated every 8-12 hours as needed.
Tell your vet if you use either of these medications.
If you think your dog may have swallowed something it cannot pass or thatit might be showing signs of bloat
(read here about bloat www.canismajor.com/dog/bloat.html) get your dog to an emergency veterianarian as either can be life threatening illnesses.
Other signs to make you head for the emergency vet (call your own vet office for info from the answering service on who to contact in an emergency) inlude lethargy, a blue or white color to gums or tongue (if blue is not the normal color as it is in chows and shar pei) vomit filled with blood, or a high fever.
Hope this helps you!