NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

dog: that is 161/2, he is blind in one eye..enlarged heart..vets

Customer Question

I have a dog that is 161/2, he is blind in one eye and barely sees out the other, bad arthitis, enlarged heart, cannot control his bowls and sometimes can't walk, I cannot afford to put him down at the vets, do you have any suggestions how I can do this so he is not suffering anymore?? Thank You
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You can check and see if the local animal shelter offers these services. See if the one over in Bedford does or call the Manchester shelter and ask.
You can also check and see if your vet or another would take payments.
Often its not the euthanasia that is expensive but rather the disposal of the body. If you have a friend with farm land where you could bury your pet that would save you a lot on the costs.
The way things are now any home solutions for euthanasia would be likely to be construed as animal cruelty and get you jail time if you were caught at it.
You can also call different vets and ask about the euthanasia costs. As vets have different overheads prices can vary widely. You'll need to know aproximately how much your dog weighs to get an accurate estimate.
Other shelters you can check with to see if they can help with this include the one in Salem NH, the one in Methuen MA, and the one over in Exeter NH, Monadnock Humane is over in the Keene area too.
So sorry for your situation and I hope this info helps you!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Expert:  hjjoachs replied 11 years ago.
I agree and here is the local information for Manchester's shelter.

MANCHESTER ANIMAL SHELTERXXXXX
MANCHESTER, NH (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Otherwise look up location info at www.pets911.com and enter your zip code

Our local vet takes many post dated checks to cover large expenses.

Good Luck and sorry for your loss.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you and I will check all resources.

Kristin
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If you found my answer helpful you can accept it.
I hope one of the resources I mentioned can help you in this difficult time.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you and I am going to check out all my resources, its an awful situation and don't want to do anything against the law. I just want him to be pain free.

Kristin
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Animal Rescue League of NH (NNN) NNN-NNNN
545 Route 101

they might be able to help you.
I know its hard to do no matter when it happens!