NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

golden retriever: who loves to swim in freshwater-- lakes, ponds, etc

Customer Question

Hello
I can't say this is a very serious problem but I am asking just the same!
My dog is a 6.5 year old golden retriever who loves to swim in freshwater-- lakes, ponds, etc. I try to take him to water that I know is not polluted. Anyway, it seems that during the summer (perhaps because he swims more?) he gets these matted clumps (ie dreadlocks)in certain areas-- ears, rump, top of hind legs where his "knee" comes in-- that clump up very close to his skin and seem to be painful to brush out-- sometimes I just cut them out with scissors. I am wondering if there is a dietary supplement that might help or if I need to do something different. I can't keep him out of the water-- that would be torture to him-- and don't want to have to brush him every day unless that's the cause. I brush him weekly and that seems to be enough. Do you have any suggestions? I am lucky that he is otherwise very happy and healthy and his coat is quite lustrous and beautiful and he's not a heavy shedder-- I lucked out!
Thanks for your attention and any help, in advance,
GoldenRetrieverLover
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This is probably undercoat that is twisting up like that and causing the problem.
You can dry Derm Caps or Lipiderm which are fatty acid supplements which may improve skin and coat condition.
But I highly recommend a great grooming tool to resolve these matts or clean out dead undercoat in dogs called the Mars Coat King. It comes in different fineness for varying breeds and it is MIRACULOUS (and I don't say that about a tool very lightly at all) in clearing out matts and tangles without hurting the dog or cutting its skin etc. Zip zip through the problem coat areas and its all done.
If you go to www.froogle.com and put the tool name in and sort on lowest prices you should be able to get the right one for your dog at about 20-25 dollars. Sounds like a lot but oh will it save you grooming time and save grooming pain for your pet! Or check the prices at www.upco.com or www.petedge.com on this tool.
I was thrilled to find this tool for my pets and its saved lots of grooming time for me.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hello Nancy
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
I will look out for the Mars Coat King and hopefully it will help. I appreciate your expertise very much.
Thanks
Jen
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy,
Thanks for your help.
I will look out for the Mars Coat King.
My dog and I appreciate your expertise very much.
Thanks again!
Jen
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are welcome - it should help you a lot!