NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

DOGS FIGHTING

Customer Question

I HAVE TWO DOGS. ONE IS A BLACK LAB 7 YEARS OLD. THE OTHER IS A LAB RETREIVER MIX MUCH SMALLER AND ONLY TWO.
WE GOT HIM ABOUT 8 MONTHS AGO. THE LAB HAS ALWAYS BEEN LOVING AND SWEET BUT YESTERDAY WHEN THEY WERE EATING HE WENT AFTER THE LITTLE ONE AND MY SON AND HUSBAND HAD TO SEPERATE THEM. THE LITTLE ONE HAD A SCRATCH ON HIS EAR BUT NO OTHER INJURIES. THE LAB OUT WIEGHS HIM BY ABOUT 45 POUNDS SO COULD HAVE REALLY HURT HIM. THEN LAST NIGHT THE LAB GROWLED AT THE LITTLE ONE. THE LAB HAS NEVER BEEN AGGRESSIVE. HE ACTUALLY SHAKES AND HIDES WHEN SOMEONE HE DOES NOT KNOW COMES IN THE HOUSE. HE LITTLE ONE IS A NEUTERED MALE AND LAB IS ALSO MALE BUT IS NOT NEUTERED. HOW CAN WE FIX THIS. WE LOVE THEM BOTH AND THEY HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN ALONG NICELY UNTIL NOW
THANK YOU
CAROL
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Your younger dog is becoming mature and the older dog is asserting his authority to let him know that he may be grown up but he's not boss yet.
Most dog fights are pretty much noise and spit scary as they might sound and look.
Its all about status and who will be pack leader or at least the beta dog in the pack after you humans.
For highly valuable items such as dinner or real food chews such as bones or pig ears they may need to be separated to enjoy them safely.
Programs such as the nothing in life is free training may help put you humans back in charge of both dogs. You can read about this here
www.ddfl.org/behavior/nilif.htm
You can also see if www.apdt.com has a good trainer near you to help you with this. Sometimes an outside observer can help you see how your actions impact what the dogs are doing.
Neutering may or may not help in this situation. But to reassure you I've seen this in many dogs and if they can safely sort it out themselves usually all is well until one gets old and feeble or becomes ill.
Checking the old guy for health issues that might be making him feel insecure may be worthwhile too.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: THANK YOU SO MUCH. THERE SEEMS TO BE SOMEVERY GOOD IDEAS FOR US TO FOLLOW UP ON.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You are very welcome and thanks for the accept! good luck with the boys!