JoAnne
JoAnne, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  I was a volunteer at the Cincinnati Zoo, Also I do Dog Rescue for handicapped animals
143236

Barking/Aggressive Chihuahua

Customer Question

What can I give to sedate or stop my dog from barking. I have a little chihuahua who barks like crazy and is very aggressive towards people who enter my home. And she will NOT stop while the people are still present. This is now a huge problem because I am looking for a roommate and she is scaring them all away! I have tried benadryl and drammamine and they do not work at all. What else is there?? I have also tried behavior lessons, an anti bark collar, and numerous anti bark devices, so I am now looking to the medicated route.
Category: Dog
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
Clomicalm tablets are an anti depressant used for seperation anxiety and also excessive barking

Buspirone is a prescription drug and can only be obtained from a veterinarian or by prescription from a veterinarian

also they are also prescribing prozac for behavior problems I would suggest these only after a complete physical from your vet many have side effects that could complicate an underlying health problem,.    Hope this helps you must use disiplne along with these medications to asses a behavior problem.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you know of of anything I could obtain more quickly? I need something ASAP and it takes a while to get an appointment at the vet and everything, but I do eventually want to go to a more permanent solution like the ones you mentioned.
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
I also have a chiuaua that barks like crazy!
   and Ive found this is a very hard dog to train. But they are a one person dog and they think they own you and everthing around you.
They need a lot of attention but they are very smart! Since they are so little they have to bark loud to make up for thier size I guess. I talk to my dog like he is a person and I think he understands me :) But here is a little trick I found useful I stick peanut butter in his mouth when he is inside the house barking just to annoy me. It keeps him busy for a while it gets him to stop for a little while make sure he has water close by I dont use a lot just a small amount to
quiet him for a minute so I can think! and I also found this for you but I have never tried this yet. hope this helps

Put some pennies in a can - anything from a coffee can to a small juice can - and cover with duct tape. Instead of water, I shake the can and they will usually be quiet for a time. Give treats and praise. Doesn't take long.