Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

yellow lab: My ten month old..our house with the tennis ball

Customer Question

My ten month old yellow lab swam quite a bit on Sunday. He must have made ten retrieves in the lake behind our house with the tennis ball. He would have kept going but I knew he was ready to take a rest.

My question is that ever since he went swimming on Sunday he has been gagging and coughing. Sometimes he spits up. The dry hacking cough is worrying me. He doesn’t seem sick because he is so playful and he is eating (a small amount) and drinking a little water. Could he have ingested too mush water while retrieving? Do you think it has settled in is lungs? Please help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If she has been boarded at a kennel recently, it could be kennel cough, a common respiratory illness that is highly contagious. Even if animals have been vaccinated, they will still get it if they are exposed.

Aside from that, tracheal problems and heart problems can also cause coughing, as can a general virus.

Any time that I hear of an older dog coughing, I immediately think of a heart problem, especially if the dog is not on heartworm prevention.

You should be pretty concerned. I think that you should make an appointment with your vet as soon as you are able.

Let me know if you need more details or do not understand.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: He just got his last round of puppy shots two weeks ago. I just thought is was strange that he started the dry hacking and gagging the day after he swan so much.
Expert:  ElenaMarie replied 11 years ago.

I would take your puppy to the vet's to be checked out if you can afford to. He is young, but he may have been affected by the water, and could have swallowed some contaminated water, as well. He may need to just have the vet listen to his lungs, and he may also need an antibiotic as well.

God bless and good luck!

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I really don't think that the cough is from the water. However, there are some parasites that can cause coughing. She MIGHT have swallowed or inhaled a little water. If this is the case, she would probably recover on her own in a couple of days.

If you don't start to see some improvement or she starts to be lethargic, has green mucus from the nose or eyes or has diarrhea and vomiting, you will want to see the vet right away.

Let me know if you still have questions.