JoAnne
JoAnne, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  I was a volunteer at the Cincinnati Zoo, Also I do Dog Rescue for handicapped animals
143236

my sick dog

Customer Question

my dog is yelping when he walks and is just laying around not playing his stomach is swollen really big
hes not eating or drinking water. when he gets up to walk, its almost like he dizzy or confused, cause he
tilts his head and walks in that direction.
Category: Dog
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
This could be a life threatning emergency I woukld get him to the vet asap this is not something you can cure at home!

Dog Health Issues - Description of Canine Bloat
Canine Bloat is a very serious dog health problem and is a life threatening condition. Bloat is the common term for medical condition known as gastric dilatation and volvulus (GDV). The word Bloat comes from the Middle English word blout meaning bloated and puffy. This reflects the effect to the dog when the stomach fills up with air and appears bloated and puffy. This can also be referred to as Gastric Distension or Gastric Torsion.

Dog Health Problems - Symptoms of Canine Bloat
Canine Bloat is marked by the fast and unusual distension of the abdominal region accompanied by non-productive vomiting and retching with rapid, shallow breathing. A dog with bloat may go into shock and profuse salivation may indicate severe pain. Once the stomach is filled with air it can easily rotate on itself. This rotation (volvulus) can cut off the blood supply, the whole blood supply system is effected and the stomach then begins to die. This results in the rapid deterioration in the condition of the dog.

Dog Health Questions - Dogs susceptible to Canine Bloat (AKA Gastric Distension, Gastric Torsion or GDV)
The dogs most susceptible to Canine Bloat are of the large breeds, are deep chested and over two years of age. The Great Dane, Saint Bernard, Weimaraner, Irish Setter and Gordon Setter are the breeds who have the highest likelihood of acquiring canine bloat. Studies have shown that the incidence of Bloat increases in dogs that male, underweight, eat only one meal a day, eat at a faster rate and finally are of a nervous disposition.

Dog Health Questions - Canine Bloat Causes
The bloating occurs as a result of swallowing air. All dogs swallow air and normally this air is released. For some reason, that Veterinary Surgeons have not yet determined, the dogs that develop bloat do not release this swallowed gas.

Canine Bloat - Reducing the Threat
There are some steps that may be taken by owners to reduce the threat of the disease in the most susceptible breeds of dogs:

Make regular checks of the dogs weight (rapid weight loss is an early indicator)

Feed two or three times daily

Ensure the dog is fed in a quiet place without distractions

Ensure fresh water is available after each meal

Allow at least one hour before the dog is given any exercise

Dog Health Information - Treatment of Canine Bloat (AKA Gastric Distension, Gastric Torsion or GDV)
Any dog displaying the symptoms of bloat must be referred to a Veterinary Surgeon. The prompt treatment will help reduce the 35% mortality rate of dogs with this condition.

Dog Health Advice
We hope that the canine health information and dog health advice has been of some assistance. But please remember that if you are in doubt about your Dog's Health please consult your Canine Health Specialist
http://www.dog-names.org.uk/dog-health-canine-bloat.htm