Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

dog gnawing and licking constantly, loosing hair

Customer Question

Is there a cortisone shampoo for dogs. My dog gnaws and licks constantly. I have spent a fortune at the vet but no relief for her. I use both a micro tech shampoo and alternate with a citrus based one and it helps for a while. She was so bad the other night that I put some cortisone cream on her and it worked better than anything I had tried but left her greasy. Is there a cortisone based shampoo that I can buy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am not aware of a cortisone based shampoo but I do have some suggestions.

There could be several things going on here.  First and foremost, you need to get the dog on a prescription flea remedy to rule out a flea problem.   Frontline is my favorite and it can be bought over the counter with no prescription.

Your dogs could have allergies to fleas.  If this is the case, it only takes one to get the itching started.  Even if you don't see fleas, it only takes ONE BITE to get the cycle started in a dog that has this allergy.

Your dogs could also be allergic to products, the environement or food.

If you can't get this under control, you really need to talk with your vet about a low allergy diet, antihistamine use, and a steroid to help curb the itching and give the skin time to heal.  Steroids can give the skin time to recover from the itching and allow it to heal.  Your pet also might have a secondary bacterial or fungal infection.  This is pretty common when there is this much itching going on.

Lastly, you will want to have the vet scrape the skin to rule out deomodectic and sarcoptic mange.  One is contagious and the other is more of an immune disorder.  They do not have to be exposed.

I also suggest that you get him started on a supplement that contains omega three fatty acids.  Good skin starts from the inside out.

Let me know if you have more specific questions about this.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for your reply.

My dogs are on a flea preventative monthly and I keep the house spayed for them also. Really not a flea problem. I have other pets and they are flea free also as we comb and check them.

She was just at the vet two weeks ago. They give her benedryl and she has been checked for the sarcoptic mites.

The reason I was checking for some sort of cortisone shampoo is that the other night she was itching so bad that I grabbed some cortisone cream that I had here and lathered her stomach good with it and she did not scratch the rest of the night and most of the next day. It is just so messy as it leaves her coat greasy. She is a Peke.

I really don't want to start her on steroids as she is only three and it does cause health problems sometimes. The vet even said he wanted to hold off on that as long as possible. We have been fighting this for two years now but this is the worse she has been.

She eats nothing but Pedigree wet/dry. When all of this started I began using a shampoo from Eqyss called Micro Tec and it was wonderful but evidently she is getting immune to that or it could just be the pollen season, which is bad here this year, causing her to itch more. I bathe her at least twice a week but don't want to dry her skin out by bathing her to much.

Thank you for your reply though. And in doing some other research I had seen the amino fatty acids mentioned and will certainly look into that.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Great!  It sounds like you are a very well educated pet owner!  I wish that more people were like you.

Don't forget to accept my answer if it was helpful to you.  This will move your deposit over to my account.

If my answer was not helpful and you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask.