NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

MAjor Dog behavioral issues & damaging window blinds

Customer Question

Something is going on w/my dog. First, let me tell you that he is a 18 month old neutered male Shiba Inu that I got at 2 months. 6 wks ago we moved from NJ to OH. Our 1st 3 wks were spent in a temp. apt. One day (end of wk 2)I came home from work to find that he had damaged the window blinds. After that day when I left for work I made sure the blinds were up. Our last Sat. there I had left the apt for 2 hrs to run some errands. He was in the apt. When I got back he was laying in the grass. I had forgotten to shut a window and he tore thru the screen. We are now in our permanent place (at least 2 yrs). This week ending 27-MAy was our 3rd week. Monday when I left for work a left two windows open b/c it was supposed to be warm. When I arrived home I saw that he tore up one of the screens. The rest of this week I have left the windows shut and the air on. Thursday I received two calls on my cell while I was at work b/c two neighbors found my dog in their yards. How did he get out? Well, he tore up the other screen and managed to get if off the window. Then some how he managed to get the glass pane open a few inches. From there he either jumped from the 2nd flr or fell from the 2nd flr. His only injury, a boo-boo near his mouth from chewing the screen. Today, Friday, I came home from work to find that he has torn up the blinds in the kitchen and tore down one of 2 sets of blinds in my bedroom. Help!!! What could be going on with my dog? How long will this behavior last? Does he need medication or more obedience training? His first and only training class was at 4 months. Help me PLEASE!!!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Your dog has been disrupted by all the moves and sounds like he is suffering from a problem called separation anxiety.
There are things you can do to help with this.
This site outlines some of them
http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm
You may also need the help of a veterinary behaviorist or a trainer to get your dog settled into the idea that he has moved but you have not abandoned him in the strange new place.
www.apdt.com is a good place to go looking for a trainer
Ask your veterinarian about a referral to a veterinary behaviorist.
Your dog may need some medication to help him cope with his anxiety. Thats where the veterinary behaviorist will be able to help you more than just a trainer as he or she can prescribe drugs as well as give you help with a behavior modification plan.
In the meantime as its a long weekend try tiring your dog out with directed exercise and when you leave for work try making sure he is in a safe room with something good to chew and no escape routes - and maybe something nice to snuggle on that you have worn and left your scent on for comfort - just make sure its something that if he rips it won't make you sad.
He just loves you too much and is afraid to be alone in the new scary home when maybe you won't come back for him.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you for the websites. They were very helpful. I am going to take my dog in for a behavior evaluation.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If you found this answer helpful you can accept it.