Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Transitioning a dog to new home

Customer Question

I can no longer handle my dog and will be transitioning him to a new home. Should this be done cold turkey or should I have him spend a day or two there at a time to get used to his home before he moves in?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It's usually better for the dog and for you if you just make the switch and be done with it.  I would not even plan to visit until the dog has been with the family for at least 3 months and fallen in love with his new people.

If you want to visit the home with the dog, it's  a good idea to spend an hour or so there so that you can see how he interacts with his new family.  Then take him back home.  Don't leave him for a while and then go back and get him.  This will make him look for you even after you have left him permanently.

Let me know if you still have questions about this.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Expert:  auntkate replied 11 years ago.
I would suggest dropping off your dog and letting him get used to his new home on his own. If you spend a few days with him, his life will be disrupted twice. What I mean is:

First - You will have him in new surroundings which he will get used to, but he will get used to having you there.
Then - He will have to make another adjustment with you leaving him.

It's better to make all the changes at one time.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!