Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Feline Labor

Customer Question

My pregnant tabby dropped some blood 2 days ago (just a couple drops) so I thought she was in labor. She has still not had her kittens. Is there something I need to do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

They usually don't need a lot of help.  If she is still eating/drinking well, you can wait and see what happens.  If you see any vomiting, lethargy, not eating, you need to see the vet immediately.

Gestation for a cat is around 65 days.  If you know when she bred, you can count back and estimate the delivery date.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for your prompt response. I am just worried about her! She seems fine, no stress noticed in her behavior, she is just hanging out...I will let you know when she has become a mommy!
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

After she delivers this litter, it's time to think about spaying her.  Within a few weeks of giving birth, she will be pregnant and doing this all over again.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I own 4 cats, 1 male and 3 female. The male has been neutered already. My females have not. the tabby is due anytime. My other 2 are (of course) also pregnant....each cat is about 3 weeks apart in their gestation period. Luckily I live on a farm and can handle the load right now, but I feel like a feline maternity ward. How long after kittens are born do I have to wait to spay them? These are all great cats but I don't want ANY of them pregnant again. I am about to be swimming in kittens! SOOOO, if you know anyone in middle Tennessee looking for a kitten PLEASE, send them my way!!!!
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
 The perfect time to spay a kitten is around 3 months of age.  You want to do it by 6 months AT LEAST.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I'm sorry, I was not clear in my question. How long after the kittens are born do I have to wait to spay the mother cats? I plan to give away the kittens.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Sorry.  I thought you meant the kittens!  Don't forget that you need to spay the kittens as well.  You should call your humane society or animal shelter and get advice on a low cost or no cost clinic.

You can spay the mom as soon as the babies are weaned.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you again. I really am in need of a free clinic at this point because I have 3 mommies and am about to add around a dozen kittens between the 3 of my expectant felines.....Have a great night and thanks so much, you have put my mind at ease!
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You are very welcome.  Thanks for accepting my answers!

I hope you come back with all your pet questions.  If you need help finding a low cost clinic, let me know.