Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Fever question in standrad poodle pup

Customer Question

My new 4 month old Standard Poodle puppy that I have had only five days
was running a high temp this morning. (104) She was lethargic and
slightly off balance and had thick conjunctivitis. The conjuntivitis I was
not worried about as a couple of my other dogs have had it recently with
allergy. The pup's bowels were thin, but I was not alarmed as we are in
the process of changing his food. The fever and lethargy prompted me to
take him in and ask for a full battery of blood tests. He has had all his
shots, a third parvo shot having been given a month ago. The blood and
urine panels came out finr (his breeder was afraid of a new strain of lepto)
but his white blood cell count was 20,000. His temp had gone down to
102 by this afternoon and he was sitting up eating at the clinic. The vet
gave him fluids and antibiotics just in case he starts to throw up tonight.
So far there has been no diarhhea or throw up, but the vet is till afraid he
might have parvo.....and I worry about distemper. I have since washed all
the toys and all but one bed he has laid on as I am afraid of my other four
dogs catching something. Could this be parvo or distemper, or are we
jumping the gun? Could it just be stress from a new home, new dogs,
hew dog show situations, and new food? Or a bug picked up at a show?
We also ruled out tick borne diseases...and the parvo swab came back
negative.
Thanks,
Debi
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If your vet suspects Parvo, he can do a simple blood test that is not expensive and either rule it out or confirm it.  If he has already done it, it's pretty reliable.  You don't often get a false negative.

Parvo usually presents with a fever, lethargy, bloody diarrhea with a smell unlike anything you have ever smelled before and vomiting.

If you suspect parvo, you need to force fluids.  Give pedialyte as often as you can get it in him.  Syringe it in his mouth if you have to.  The disease kills because it dehydrates the dog.

Since you are seeing improvements, I doubt that it parvo.  I would lean more towards and infection because of the conjunctivitis.  Most dogs require antibiotics for this.

I hope that I have answered all of your questions.  If you have more or I have missed something, please let me know.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: My pup is still at the clinic. What would you think about
distemper or AIHA?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Distemper is just not a very common disease....

The clinical signs of AIHA are usually gradual and progressive, but occasionally an apparently healthy pet suddenly collapses in an acute hemolytic crisis. The signs are usually related to lack of oxygen: weakness, lethargy, anorexia, and an increase in the heart rate and respirations. Heart murmurs and pale mucous membranes (gums, eyelids, etc.) may also be present. More severe cases also have a fever and "icterus" (jaundice), a yellow discoloration of the gums, eyes, and skin. This is due to a buildup of bilirubin, one of the breakdown products of hemoglobin.  (source)

I really feel led to think that this has more to do with an infection.