NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

puppy: which small bone near her ear was fractured..she walks a bit

Customer Question

hello,

I was recently told by my breeder that the puppy I am purchasing had a small head injury in which small bone near her ear was fractured. The breeder is telling me that the dog is fine, and that her vet said she will be a healthy dog. The dog however, at this time after about 2 weeks after the trauma to the head, now has vertigo like symptoms in which she walks a bit differently at times. She assures me she can still hear and see fine, and that she is still a VERY active puppy with no problems...

I am just curious if this type of injury can lead to big problems down the road, and if in fact I should opt for another puppy. She is a pug if that makes any difference.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! I really want this dog, but I don't want to take on a life of problems down the line because of this:(

Lisa Baroni [email protected]
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Personally if you want a healthy puppy I would say wait for another litter or choose a healthy puppy from the litter.
With a skull fracture there is no way of knowing what damage occurred unless a neurologist examines the pup and maybe not then.
I'd want confirmation from the breeders vet in writing on his letterhead that no damage was done to the pup at the very least and that there is no expectation of any long term consequences. Any blow strong enough to break a skull bone is strong enough to really have shaken the brain inside the brain case. The fact that two weeks later its still having issues concerns me.
Of course taking on any puppy or dog is a gamble as you don't know what health issues will show up down the road, but I feel the breeder owes you more than a 'my vet says it will be OK' type explanation before you consider taking this pup home to be your pet.
Maybe this pup will recover fine, maybe it won't, but in my opinion if you are paying full price for a healthy puppy then this pup isn't the right choice for that expectation.
If you do take it on you need to be ready to face any vet bills or disablities the trauma may have caused or will cause down the road.
Hope this helps!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics