Rebekah Haferbecker
Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider
Experience:  Have been caring for pets and shelter animals for over 10 years.
146273

can my dog survive a maggot infestation

he was in a fight and got a bad cut on his hind leg., now he is covered in maggots they have made holes around his ears, he has not eaten for 4 days and is really bad, can he survive or would it be more humane to have him put down
 Take him to the vet ASAP and have them assess the extent of the damage. Only a trained eye can really tell you his chance of survival. It may only be surface damage to the skin or it may go deeper. He needs to see a doctor ASAP!  
Maggots are attracted by soiled fur, excrement, rotting flesh, and wounds. Some maggots can be good; others can be dangerous. The cause of the maggots (a wound, infection, tumor) could be as serious or more serious than the maggots themselves. Therefore, they should be removed (washing with a mixture of 4 parts water with one part povidone iodine ("betadine") or household (3%) hydrogen peroxide usually works well. Keep the are clean and dry. Contact your veterinarian.
http://www.ucihs.uci.edu/com/pathology/sherman/faq2.htm#6

I found this information for you hope this helps!
JoAnne, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: I was a volunteer at the Cincinnati Zoo, Also I do Dog Rescue for handicapped animals
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: we had the vet see him the other day, he just gave us some antibiotics and cream for his leg he didn't really say anything about the maggots but he did not see the holes as my dog is a collie and his hair was covering them, it was only after we shaved around the area and washed him down that I noticed them,. as I cleaned them out more maggots just kept coming out of the holes, I've put iodine solution and got some spray from the feed store but they are now all over and new holes keep appearing
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
we had the vet see him the other day, he just gave us some antibiotics and cream for his leg he didn't really say anything about the maggots but he did not see the holes as my dog is a collie and his hair was covering them, it was only after we shaved around the area and washed him down that I noticed them,. as I cleaned them out more maggots just kept coming out of the holes, I've put iodine solution and got some spray from the feed store but they are now all over and new holes keep appearing
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added

You should call your vet about the maggots, if he didn't mention them it is because he did not see them, that is way too serious for him to not say anything about. Iodine wash is ok if it is a minor infestation of a single cut but if they are taking over your dog and are spreading further than the cut itself he needs professional care. They may be doing serious damage and the sooner the vet sees him the better his chances of survival are!

Hope this helps!

Rebekah Haferbecker, Pet Care Provider
Experience: Have been caring for pets and shelter animals for over 10 years.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: thank you for your answer but I think it's too late, he can't lift his head and his breathing is really bad, we just found another bad wound below his ear,. I think we will have to have him put down in the morning, if he even makes it till then.