JoAnne
JoAnne, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  I was a volunteer at the Cincinnati Zoo, Also I do Dog Rescue for handicapped animals
143236

Dog urinating clear urine - uncontrollable.

Dog is urinating clear urine in the house and on the way out to where he normally goes. It is obvious he is having trouble controlling. 2 1/2 year old male neutered lab. He was playing on the lawn earlier in the day and was focusing on one area of the grass, might have eaten something. He had large chunks of green foliage in his stool. When we went outside, he was pulling on the leash (unusual) and he was panting more than usual. Do you have any advice as to what might be causing these 'accidents'?
Category: Dog
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
Incontinence can occur because there is an increased urge to urinate that the dog can't control, when there is a decrease in the ability to resist urine flow for hormonal, neurologic or anatomical reasons and occasionally as a behavioral problem. Of these, hormonally responsive incontinence is the most common cause.
Phenylpropanolamine is available under the brand name "Proin" as a medication for dogs.

http://handicappedpets.com/diaper/incontinenceinfo.htm
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: So Joann, it doesn't sound like he could be poisoned by something in the yard? So this is normal for a 2 1/2 year old lab?
Expert:  Rebekah Haferbecker replied 11 years ago.
 How long has the uncontrollable urinating been going on? Is he eating and drinking normally? You said there was foliage in his stool was the stool normal in consistency? Not soupy or soft?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Rebekah Johnson's Post: It began today at approx 4:00pm PST. We had gone outside to play at 1:00pm. He ate his breakfast this morning normally... when he came back in from playing he did drink a lot of water - I thought because it was warm and he was tired from running. He is responding well to treats, I haven't fed dinner yet. The stool was normal consistency.
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
when you say foilage do you mean grass? It may not be normal, but it is common, could be behavioral or hormonal doesnt sound like he is having any serious symptoms but keep your eye on him. If you notice not eating or drinking or vomiting, diarrhea. You may be due for a vet visit.
JoAnne, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: I was a volunteer at the Cincinnati Zoo, Also I do Dog Rescue for handicapped animals