NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Beagle: I recently rescued a 2-3 year..started throwing

I recently rescued a 2-3 year old Beagle off the street. She is wonderful, but I have been having problems with her throwing up. She was throwing up during car rides, but that doesn't not seem like a problem anymore (maybe once a week now) but she has started throwing up for apparently no reason. Sometimes it seems like she does it when she has been running around, but I'm not sure if it is from the running or something else. She comes out to the barn with me every day and follows me through the fields when I ride my horses. Some one mentioned maybe she had an allergy. She is not throwing up anything except a watery substance and something a little grass. She rarely throws up food, but I only feed her at night and she usually goes right to her bed when she is done eating. She had 5 puppies with her, which are about 3 months old now, She is up to date on her shots, rabies and heartworm. What is causing her to throw up? Is there anything I can do for her?
I would suggest you split her one meal into two and feed morning and night. Sometimes dogs vomit when their stomachs are empty and excess acid builds up.
This happens to a lot of dogs and the easiest solution is to cut meals in half and feed twice a day so there is more time that there is something being digested to take care of the acids.
Another possibility is she may have eating something that is irritating her stomach when it is empty. I've seen dogs do this when bone chips or hoof parings or plastic items or bits of toys won't go through the exit opening of the stomach to the intestines. When the stomach gets empty the items irritate the lining and the dog throws up. If the item can't be thrown up then it sits there just being irritating every time the stomach is empty of food.
With my dog that had this problem it turned out to be she had swallowed a latex toy - it went down but wouldn't pass through or come up. She also got car sick. On the trip to the vet where we planned to have her stomach x-rayed she got so sick she threw the toy up and solved her own problem! Your dog may have swallowed a non food item long before you found her - especially if she were really hungry and pregnant! so you might want to talk to your vet about checking that possibility out if the twice a day feeding doesn't solve the problem.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I was originally feeding her twice a day, and the only thing that happened was that she would throw up food instead of just a watery substance. I tried feeding her breakfast once we go to the barn so she wouldn't have such a problem in the truck, but it was difficult/nearly impossible to get her to eat anything even on mornings when the barn was really quiet and she had no one to play with. She is not really getting car sick anymore, so I could try feeding her in the morning again, but she is NOT a morning dog. I have to pick her up and put her outside and she comes in and goes right back to bed, I don't know if I could get her to eat in the morning before we had to leave. Its not really an option to leave her at home, as she would be by herself, and she has so much fun at the barn, I would hate to take her away from that.
I appreciate the reply, but I don't know if feeding her twice a day is really the answer, as I was having the same problem with her when she was eating 2 small meals a day. She is not a chewer or a "trash" dog and she was in very good shape when she was found (her five puppies were NOT pure breed beagle, which may be why she was dumped off) so I feel the odds of her having eaten a non-food substance is slim, but I will discuss it with her vet as that cause was never mentioned before. Do you have any other ideas?
Once again, I really do appreciate your help.
When I say a non food item - could be a toy she swallowed or a rock or anything like that which could have gone down and not come back up or passed through. It could be there from when she was a puppy who chewed everything and just be irritating her all this time when her tummy is empty.
Sounds like she'd rather be on the go than eat! How wonderful for her she has an owner she can spend the day with!
Maybe a doggy treat or two or three instead of a meal at the barn? Or maybe some canned food there instead of dry?
Many rescue dogs get car sick at first - I think it can be stress as the last car ride they went on before they found you had a pretty scary result!
Ask your vet about using a product like Tagamet or Pepcid and see what he thinks about that as a solution to the problem.
Sounds like she landed in good hands - lucky dog she is!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you for all of your help. I'm going to try your ideas, and hopefully one will work. This is the first small animal I have had since I moved from Massachusetts to Virginia for college and I have yet to find a good small animal vet that I really trust down here, and my horse's vet isn't very helpful in the small animal department. :-) Its great to have a jumping off point before I go and talk to a new vet, and if worse comes to worse, we are going home for a week this summer, so I can talk to me vet there. I really appreciate all of your help. I wish I could give more than just $5, but with college and animals, money is a major commodity. Thanks so much!