DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

dog: months old..he took out all the food he got from the previous day

Customer Question

i see water coming out of his mouth (my dog)and he puke 2 times in 2 weeks.please help me!!!!!!!!!!its a siberian husky 8 months old.after the first time he puke he took out all the food he got from the previous day!!!after that he seems to be ok but now after 2 weeks or maybe less (today)he looks like he is trying to puke again and he did but only water this time!and now its been an hour and i can see like drops of water coming out of his mouth and he never did that before.please help me.
thanks in advance.and please i need a quick answer!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 Has your puppy been vaccinated and dewormed? Did he get into anything recently or eat any new food?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: thanks for your reply!!!well to say the truth he hasnt get any shots or tests since he was 3 months old!yeah he cut back on the dog food and now he wants table food.im really waring about the water that is coming out of his mouth!!
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

The water is drool from the nausea. His drool is dropping out of the mouth because he doesn't want to swallow with the nausea. This can also happen if he licked something irritating like detergent or chewed on plant that causes burning of the mouth. OR flea treatments/sprays, etc.

My recommendations if to put him in the tub and rinse his mouth out real well (he won't like it). Pull up his food and water for now and give him 25 mg of Benadryl.. .and hope it stays down. Benadryl does have anti-vomiting properties. If the vomiting stops you can introduce water tomorrow morning..and food (bland rice/chicken) by mid morning if it is all held down.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: well i see him its now 2 hours that he is drinking water every 5 minutes and right now he is sleeping!i touch his mouth and its all wet!its like he is drinking water all th time and the water its coming out again slowly and i think thats why he is drinking water all the time!
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

The problem is if there is something bothering his mouth the water is to dilute. Like dandelions if chewed on can burn the mouth...they will drink in order to naturally rinse the mouth and help with the irritation.

You don't have to pull the water if you think the dog is keeping it down. If it is just the drooling and water...just let him sleep. If the vomiting returns try the benadryl AND if this all passes...please try to get your dog in for the remainder of his vaccines...for his own protection.

Dr.V