DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

Re Sick dog

Customer Question

My dog is a very active dog who got fixed about 10 days ago. He has started throwing up and is inactive for the last 4 days . His nose is dry and he is throwing up and has diarhea.What can I do for him?Should he go to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I'm not sure whether or not it has anything to do with the neuter or not but, anytime that a dog acts out of the norm, you should give your vet a call.

Because you are seeing lethargy and a desire to not eat, you have a problem. 

You can help the vomiting by removing his food, treats and don't give any table scraps.  Feed him a diet of only boiled hamburger or boiled chicken and white rice (no bones, no skin).  This will help to settle the stomach.

If not, you should see the vet even sooner.  You might be dealing with a bigger problem.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I have been pulling up symptoms of Parvo & he seems to have all of these. Is there a remedy for home that I can give him. I know the Vet treatment is expensive& I can't relly afford it. Do you have any reccomendations?
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 How old is this dog? What is the vaccine history?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: He is 6 months and has his vaccinations. He was at a neuter clinic on the 22nd of April And I'm wondering if he contracted it there?
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 Parvo can present 10-14 days after exposure. What breed of dog is it? How many vaccines did your puppy go thru? Is there any blood in the feces?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: He is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I think he has all shots he should. That day he only had the surgery and a Rabies Vaccination.There is no bllod but it is very dark & watery. I was giving him Pedialite last night by syringe because he looks dehydrated. His nose is dry and he is very inactive which is not like him at all.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Parvo kills because it robs the body of nutrients and the dog can quickly become lethally dehydrated.  If you see a vet, the vet will probably give IV fluids to keep him hydrated.

You should continue with the pedialyte and get as much of it in him as you can.  You can also give him ice chips to chew on.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of other conditions that can cause these symptoms.  Internal parasites are one cause.

If a dog has parvo, they will usually have bloody diarrhea with a smell that's worse than anything you have ever smelled before.

Your vet can give him a simple blood test to determine whether or not he does, indeed have parvo.  It's not very expensive.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: He doesn't stink it's the inactivity that scares me . He's very active.I know the dehydration is whats getting to him . Any suggestions? There is no blood either so what is done for parasites?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If you suspect a parasite problem, you can take a fecal sample to your vet so that they can analyze it under the microscope.  Then the vet can give you an appropriate dewormer.  Most vets will do this without charging you for an office visit.

You should keep giving the pedialyte to counter act any dehydration that you might be seeing.

Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

This breed is not as likely as other breeds to contract PARVO after a full set of vaccines.

My concern is that there is a foreign object causing a partial obstruction or even another serious problem.

I have recommendations for parvo but I guess I would feel better about giving them if you actually had a positive test.

Ridgebacks are such great dogs...I really think you need to go to a vet. Let them take a look and do alittle testing to try to give you an idea of the cause.

If it is parvo and you don't want it treated at the hospital...I can help alittle...but I am feeling it might be something else.

It would be uncommon if the dog went thru vaccines without wormings...but there are other parasites like giardia and coccidia that can cause depression, vomiting and diarrhea!

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I'm not exactly sure about the full set of shots but I've done my part since I've had him.Is it possible he contracted it from another dog @ the clinic? Anything you can help me with would be great. I plan on taking him in later but I would appreciate any info on Parvo or any treatment you reccomend please let me know. I will be going to the vet later I'd like to keep the cost down if possible but if I have to spend the money I will . This is my baby. I just want to help him any way I can .
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

At home treatment for the puppy would be pedialyte, Emetrol (2 tsps)and Immodium (1-2 tsps), bland meat baby food after vomiting stops. 

The problem is if it is not parvo...these things can further complicate the problem.

They will run a parvo test and see if it is positive and then bloodwork /xray based on the  exam.

Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you>
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

You are welcome. Please remember to accept an answer if they were helpful.

Dr.V