NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My dog seems to have a some kind of a twitch

My dog has this flinch. a nervous tick like people get. Almost seems like her skin twiches but all her limbs move when she twiches. Wehn she's up and moving around she's fine but about 15 minutes after she's been rested, asleep, she starts to twich and it seems she can't get comfortable. I took her to an emergency vet early this morning but they never saw the twich because she would not rest in the kennle because she hates being at the vet. They think maybe she's in pain from some kind of injury and gave her remydal, but it's not working and she's not getting any better. I don't think she injured herself. Her condition seems like it has something to do with the nervous system..I'm not a vet but that's the only way I know how to explain it. What do you think could be wrong with my almost 4 year old German Short hair Pointer mix. Should I take her to another vet or wait until tomorrow morning and see her regular vet. What could be wrong with her?
Is she doing this while asleep or does it wake her up?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: It happens when she's asleep and just slightly when she's resting, but when she flinches it wakes her up and then she keeps changes positions as if she's trying to get the flinching to stop and to get comfortable.
Have you applied any flea or tick prevention recently?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: No. Atleast not that I know of. She did have a bath yesteday but they don't apply any flea or tick meds unless I give them the ok and I was not charge for any meds which they would do if they had applied any. The vet asked me that queston as well. What if they did apply the meds without my ok, what should I do, bath her to get the meds off of her?
Ok I would say that if this did not start after you applied something like a flea or tick prevention, and that if she's not asleep when this is going on, and she does not seem to be in pain in a particular body part, then that rules out most of the common things.
I know this is something hard to explain to a vet. What I would suggest is wait and go to your regular vet but, if you can, bring him or her a video recording of what your dog is doing so the vet can see the symptom. If you don't have a video camera then even a short clip like a digital camera or some phones can do would work so the vet can see what the dog's actions are.
It could be something like a problem in the back which bothers her mostly when she lies down, it could be a mild siezure of some sort. I was thinking it could be activated strong dreaming but as you say she wakes up and doesn't settle easily again it sounds like more than that.
If the vet did not run any comprehensive bloodwork then that might be a start. Liver disease might cause this, Lyme disease or other tick carried diseases might. There are just a lot of things that without a real view on the dog its hard to figure out.
I asked about the flea meds as that causes a reaction in some dogs. As you took the dog in because of the twitching I don't think anything the emergency vet did would have caused it.
If this has all been happening since the dog was at the groomer's I'd give the groomer a call before going to the vet and ask if they did accidentally apply something, and just not charge you as you had not ordered it, or ask what they used for a shampoo as it might be she is twitching in some sort of allergic response to the soap used.
If you are suspicious it might have been something used at the groomer for sure you can give her a bath at home to see if you can rinse whatever it is off of her.
If you don't have any dog shampoo you can use something such as Murphy's Oil Soap to wash her. Make sure to rinse really well!
Hope this helps you and her!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: You said in your last reply that it doesn't happen when she's asleep. It DOES happen when she's asleep. In fact, it's worse when she's asleep.
DearCustomer It sounds like a pinched nerve in her back. When she lays down her muscles relax and let that nerve slide right back in between two vertabre. I would consult a pet chiropractor or take her back to the vet and suggest this idea to him and ask to an xray. When dogs go to a groomer and are on that tall table it's possible she slipped and fell in a way that twisted her spine and is now causing the pinch when she trys to relax. Hope this helps. Mi Linda Luz