DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Dog Answer Team
Experience:  Dog Expert
11348

Dog Misfigured at Petsmart

Customer Question

I had my dog at Petsmart in January and while grooming him they cut about a inch of his ear off. When I contacted their legal department their response was that there was no pain and suffering in animals. I am looking for a estimate from a Vet that could tell me approximately how much it would cost me to have the one ear cut so that it does not look like it does now (misfigured) and to have the good ear cut to match the ear that needs to be repaired. It would not make any difference as to where the Vet is located as I am looking for Petsmart to foot the bill.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If you have not done so, ask the PETSMART office to reimburse you for your expenses. If the groomer caused the injury, he or she should cover your vet bill -- and refund what you paid for the grooming, if only as a good business measure.

When you request the reimbursement and additional costmetic costs, you need to send a certified letter and ask for delivery confirmation.  Keep all of your records in case you need them later.  Give them a number of days to respond and note that you expect to hear from them in this number of days in the letter.

If the store is not willing to reimbursing you, consider putting their feet in the fire in small claims court. To succeed on your claim, you will need to have evidence -- perhaps a statement from the vet -- that careless grooming injured the dog. It would also help your case if you could produce photos of the injured ear.

Many chain stores will settle out of court when faced with a law suit.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I already have a attorney and a law suit filed.
My question is: I am looking for a Vet to give me a estimate to repair the dog.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Your regular vet should be able to give you that.  Just approach them with your problem and tell them that you want to have it fixed.  Tell them that you need a quote in writing that details the charges including:

• Anesthesia

• Surgery time

• Suture material

• Pain meds for after care

And any other charges that might be associated with this procedure.

The only problem that you MIGHT be faced with is that most vets will consider this procedure to be entirely cosmetic and they will not recommend it.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I am looking for a reply from a Vet as stated in the original request that can give me a price to fix the dog. I don't need how to or legal advice.
Expert:  Dr. Katie replied 11 years ago.
Hi There,
You don't mention the breed of your dog, but an ear crop can easily cost $250.00 nowadays. Let me know if you need supportive documentation or more help.       Usually you will be legally re-embersed for the value of the dog, not the cost to fix the ear.
Dr. Katie
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to www.askthedvm.com's Post: If I send you a picture of the dog's ears can you give me a estimate
as to the cost of the surgery to repair, etc., on your letterhead?
> I would not put the dog through it but need the documentation for
court.
> I'll gladly pay you the $50
> I need you to be as specific as possible at to the description, etc.,
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Lewis German
My E-mail address is: xxx. Iwillgive you my address from there.
Dr. Katie
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

I am looking for a reply from a Vet as stated in the original request that can give me a price to fix the dog. I don't need how to or legal advice

Lewis,

Take the $50 and find a local vet to examine the dog and give an estimate. The $$ depends on so much more than just a vet online giving an opinion. No one onsite has seen the ear, and no one onsite will be working on the ear.
Find a local vet that you trust or have been referred to...explain your situation and get a tangible quote from a person able to fix it....anything beyond that is a waste of time!

Dr. Vamvakias